1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crusty Ridge across the Nose

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by GillianF, Aug 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GillianF

GillianF Boxer Booster

Ttakas has a crusty ridge across the top of his nose - is this normal? Bronte, his sister, doesn't have one..... Is this something to be concerned about and should we do anything about it?

2. Tucker's_mom

Tucker's_mom Super Boxer

I don't want to scare you, but my mom had a spot of crusty, dry skin on her forhead and it turned out to be skin cancer. I'm not sure if dog's can get skin cancer or not, but to be safe you might want to give your vet a call.

3. Aimee

Aimee Boxer Insane

It sounds like what Lexi has and it's called hyperkeratosis (indicates an increase in the thickness of the most superficial, fully keratinized ("cornifled") layer of the skin). We give her a Vitamin E capsule at each feeding per her vet and we have seen some improvement although it hasn't fully gone away. The vet was not concerned about this but thought it could be thryoid related..she was low thyroid. Even on supplementation for that as well, it still hasn't gone completely away. I put baby oil on Lexi's a few times a week, that with the Vitamin E makes a significant difference!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.