1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cropped Ears

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by honytree, Mar 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honytree

honytree Boxer Pal

O.K...we decided on a boxer...we picked him out, brought hime home and all has gone very, very well...he is thus a sweet, well adjusted bouncing little brindle boy with white on the tips of his feet and a little splash on the chest...we decided to have his ears cropped (would never do again), but anyway so here we are....this is my question: our vet decided to put his ears in a rack and where the tape covered some of the stitched area it was not healing as well as should...after ears being racked up for about seven days the vet decided to take them out and let heal up for five days and then will rack up again...My Concern: the one ear is standing nicely, but the other is beginning to droop...should we be letting his ears flop around like this without support, and will it call for a longer period of taping by doing it this way in order to make his ears stand....he is now thirteen weeks, his ears were cropped at twelve...Help!!!

2. Scorpio

Scorpio Boxer Insane

Sorry don't know anything re cropping ears, maybe you could use the search engine top right, may be something there to help you.

3. jamesy

jamesy Boxer Buddy

I understand your anguish and concerns about the ears not standing. After all it's only been a week, so you should not worry too much. You need to allow for some time as it does get better. I was the same way.....worried sick about every little thing. It's not as bad as it looks. Just as long as his ears are not oozing and smelling excessively, he''s ok. Also watch and distract him from scratching at his sutures.

The first part of the posting, with a styrofoam cup in my case **see my gallery***, is really to help the base of the ears stand. Tko had this on for about 2 weeks, his ears taped against it leaving the cut edges exposed. This allowed for the edges to heal faster.

My vet prefers for the ears to be left without any support overnight after each taping to allow the ears to breathe. Tko's now into his 7th week and are finally standing but the upper 3rd portions of his ears would flop down the next morning! I don't worry about it......I just keep taping and it'll eventually stand.

Plus I've heard that during the pup's teething phase, they'll most likely to flop again.....but will perk up again once he gets through that phase.

Would your vet not rack his up again leaving the cut edges exposed? I believe leaving the ears w/o support for more than 2 days is not the most ideal.

Hope this helps,
    Cheers!

4. honytree

honytree Boxer Pal

Thanks For Info

Thanks...I guess I'll just not worry and love Mugzee no matter how he looks after this is over...sounds like quite a few people have had good success with ear cropping...Honytree

5. Cayenne's Mom

Cayenne's Mom Boxer Insane

Cayenne's ears stood for a couple of days then boom they would fall. The bases would still be standing but they would break in the middle. Once the stitches are out keep taping. I took Cayenne to her breeder and let her tape the ears for me. Cayenne hated having the splints and all of the tape. I think she decided that she did not want to have taped ears anymore and her ears have been standing since. Just be patient. Cayenne was also teething when her ears began to fall. That might be apart of your problem. Patients is the key and I am very happy with Cayenne's results.

6. SummerBoxer

SummerBoxer Boxer Buddy

<<edited by moderator>>

<<Please review the BW rules which include the statement, "Discussion is welcome - flaming and personal attacks are not permitted. Members should not use the Board to generate arguments.">>

<<The full text of the BW rules can be found here: http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8936 >>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.