1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crating boxer puppy with free-roaming adult boxer...

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by BoxerSoul, Jul 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoxerSoul

BoxerSoul Boxer Pal

If there's a thread that already discusses this, please let me know. I searched but didn't find it.

We're picking up our new rescue pup in a couple days. We have a male boxer I've had since he was 4 months old. He was crate trained but hasn't been in one since he was 2 years old. I have a baby gate (actually it's more like a Great Dane gate) that keeps Ory in the family room/kitchen (it's tiled). So I want to crate train the new pup. Should she be crated in a completely different part of the house so she doesn't see Ory having free roam? Or should she be crated in the same area so that they can see each other?

I should also mention that she is just 3 months old. She's currently in a foster home with her littermate so they hang out in the crate together. So she may be a little lonely as the only pup in a crate, but I plan to give her items to keep her busy. I thought maybe being in the same room as Ory would help with the transition.

Thanks for your advice in advance!!

2. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

I don't know if there's a right or wrong, but my experience at the moment: I have 1 dog that is crated and 3 that are allowed free roam. The crated one gets upset and starts crying if she sees the others up and moving around. I imagine it's frustrating for her that she's not able to join them :)

That being said, it's probably something they can get over or since she's still a young pup, just get used to that. My girl was already an adult when I got her and probably just not accustomed to seeing other dogs while she's in her crate.

Basically... I would just try whichever setup is most convenient and see how it goes :)

3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I have twice had a puppy with an older dog in the house. Because I am gone so long at work, I have kept the puppy in an exercise pen in the same room. I haven't had any issues.

Try it in the same room. If the puppy seems to get really upset, try isolating him and see how he does.

Good luck!

4. BoxerSoul

BoxerSoul Boxer Pal

Thank you!

I'll set her up in the same room for now. We'll see how it goes.

We're on our way to get her now. Very excited!

5. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Well, did you get her?

6. luvmyboy

luvmyboy Boxer Insane

Yes... Is she home with you?? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

7. Stub

Stub Completely Boxer Crazy

Also be aware that the previously crated dog MAY want his crate back if you use the same one or same type he was in as a pup. I have neighbors who have Airedales. The older one was 4 when they got the new puppy, and she had not been crated since one or two years of age. The puppy was crated and the older dog acted out very badly, diarrhea in the house and everything. They had her to the vet thinking she had picked up some illness from the pup, several times. Finally they figured out that she was jealous of the pup having her old crate! They got a second crate and it was instant peace in the house. The older dog was not locked in the crate but as long as she had one to call her own she was fine with the puppy being locked in HER crate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.