Crate Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mander

Boxer Pal
well, I have the new puppy. and he goes into his crate with no problem. but he had an accident in there yesterday, so now I am paranoid about leaving him in there when he is barking, even when I KNOW he doesn't need to go to the bathroom. he is barking right now as a matter of fact. I know I shouldn't take him out while he is barking, but since he pooped in the crate, I am nervous about leaving him in there. what can I do to get him to stop barking?

As horrible as it sounds, just ignore him, by letting him out you will be rewarding and encouraging his behaviour. Sounds harsh but really it doesn't take them that long to figure out the "Hey I'm still barking and Mom isn't letting me out" Let him be quiet for a few minutes and then let him out.

Another good thing is to make a "AHHHHH" at him and then walk away. It worked for both of my girls quite well.

As for his having an accident, it happens. Just before you crate him make sure he goes by even walking around with him in the backyard in small tight circles. It encourages their natural instinct to go potty.

Good Luck

Leigh
Mom to:
Christine & Midnight

Mander

Boxer Pal
just as I was typing "I know he doesn't need to go" he was pooping in the crate again. I guess at night I need to keep him outside until he goes? He "tinkles" as I say to him with no problem, I think he is starting to associate "tinkle" with the action. But the other isn't working as well. Since he has pooped in there it is hard for me to keep from checking on him to make sure he hasn't done it again.

Mander

Boxer Pal
I think it is 24x36. if I got something smaller for right now would it help? like a smaller travel crate type thing? he really has me in a fix now because I am afraid to let him keep barking without sticking my head in the room to make sure he hasn't pooped. if course he is laying beside me now and being an angel, but as soon as he goes in the crate he barks. he is sleeping beside me now. I tried picking him up and putting him in the crate, but he still starts barking. I am figuring he doesn't need to use the bathroom since he just did it in his crate! but I am at my parents house and don't want him barking up a storm!

C

cindy

Yeah, I would try a smaller crate. Also when Lacie was small and would whine in her crate, I would thump the top of the crate with a newspaper and tell her "quiet". Is the crate in the room with you? I know a lot of people will put the crate right next to the bed so they can stick their fingers in the door, so the baby can feel them.I wish you luck and keep us posted.Cindy

------------------
cindy corl
Lacie f-flashy brindle with natural ears 6-17-99

C

ChrisM

I agree that you need a smaller crate. You should also get some enzyme spray at Petsmart to use. You MUST get rid of the odor TOTALLY so that your pup doesn't associate the area with pooping. Tess took what I thought was forever to not mess her crate. Zelda however, hasn't once messed in it! Good luck to you!

------------------

Mom to:
LADY - White female, natural ears. Rainbow Bridge February 2000

TESS - Flashy Fawn female, born Dec, 1999, natural ears

ZELDA - Semi-flashy Female, natural ears, born May 31, 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.