1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crate Training

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by jasonhbaum, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonhbaum

jasonhbaum Boxer Booster

I just got a 9 week old puppy. It has been over 12 years since we have had a pup. In crate training she does great at night. I took first week off to work with her. She now will need to be carted a few days a week while we work. Is it better to put crate in larger area and allow her to go in and out of the crate or should we just section off crate and leave her in? Note: my wifes work day varies so it could be 6 hours she is in there. I have been reading about sectioning off a crate because dogs do not like to soil their sleeping area. I cannot remember what we did with our first two boxers.

2. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

It would be best to set up a long-term confinement area for her. Since she will be in there for up to 6 hours, she'll likely end up needing to relieve herself. You want to give her a separate and "legal" surface to potty on. Don't just section off the crate--she won't differentiate between the two areas, she'll just learn that it is acceptable and necessary to sometimes eliminate while in the crate and you don't want her to learn that.

Instead, puppy-proof a small area just large enough for her crate on one side and a puppy pad on the other--exercise pens are great for this but if you have a small mudroom or bathroom or can use baby gates to section off a portion of a larger room, that works well too.

There are two great ebooks that you can download for free in .pdf format here:
    Free downloads | Dog Star Daily
    Before You Get Your Puppy & After You Get Your Puppy are both chocked full of helpful information on raising and training your new pup and include tips for housetraining using a long-term confinement area.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.