1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crate training

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by ChubsPeanut, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChubsPeanut

ChubsPeanut Boxer Pal

Hey guys, was wondering how long people leave their boxers in a crate? Like for example if you go to work or you go out for a bit? I absolutely hate hate hate leaving my 8 month old baby. It kills me to look at his face when I leave (even though all he does is probably sleep!). Think I just need a bit of reassurance from others!!
    For the first 3 month of having him, he had the run of the house while we went to work then be realised that teeth were for chewing and decided to chew the wall, duvet and numerous plants, hence the need for a crate!!
    Would really appreciate others advice and experience on this!
    Thanks everyone x

2. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

Thankfully my dogs don't need to be crated when I work (there is always someone home), but I used to bring my doberman to work with me which... is an 11 hour work day. She was in a 7ft x 3ft run so not your typical crate size that a dog would be in at home, but it's still confinement. I would do this 3 days a week. So typically she'd be in it from like 7am-noon, then we'd go for a walk or play fetch on my lunch break, and she'd be back in it from 12:30-6.

She seemed relatively okay with the setup, dogs are very adaptable... I'd just give her Kongs and other food dispensing toys and things to chew on so she could occupy herself. Honestly the worst part was for ME to have to deal with all the energy she had when I got off work.

As long as you're finding time to spend with him and exercise him, I wouldn't feel TOO bad but it's hard not to :)

3. ChubsPeanut

ChubsPeanut Boxer Pal

Well I leave him in it at about 7.30 until 11.30. Then I'll come home and we go into a big field and play fetch which really tires him out then he's back in the crate at 12.30 and someone is usually home by 5. It's just such a horrible feeling walking out the door when he's looking at you with those eyes!!!
    I'd be interested to hear other peoples experiences too.
    Thanks so much for your advice! I feel a little bit better now x

4. trc4941

trc4941 Super Boxer

We've been REALLY lucky. Our boys, both 1 yr, love their crates (wire cages). They put up a fuss when they were little, but now I just say "time to go to sleep" (no matter what time of day it is!!) and they walk right in and get a treat. Neither has ever had a potty accident while they were crated.

I walk them for about an hour every morning before work (no matter what the weather) - they're off leash with a couple of dog friends and they run like crazy. So they're pretty tired out by the time we get home. I come home at lunch and let them out to go potty and stretch their legs. If weather and time permits, I take them for a quick walk. They also get a walk in the evening. So I think a lot of exercise is key. The more tired the better!

There have been a few times when I couldn't get away from work at lunch and they've had to be in their crates for about 6-7 hours and they've been fine.

Good luck! And keep your eyes averted from that little mush face when you leave him behind!!

5. ChubsPeanut

ChubsPeanut Boxer Pal

Thank you so much Trc4941. That has made me feel a lot better!! Just always feel so guilty!!! My parents never let us have dogs because they said it's not fair if you're at work all day but if I listened to that advice, I'd never own a dog!!! Will be working full time for the next 35 years!! Hopefully he can behave himself and he can have free roam of the house soon!!
    Thanks again for all the advice x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.