Crate Training Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box Boys

Boxer Insane
I need help in getting Buster used to being in a crate again. I posted another thread titled "I need help" the other day but really need suggestions with how to transition my 7 month old boxer into using a crate. He hasn't used a crate since he was 3 months old and that was only at night time.

Since he's started to regress and potty in the house on my carpet...I would like to get him used to the crate again. He has shown that he can go the 7-8 hours while we're gone during the day without eliminating in the house (on newspapers) at the beginning of this month. However, I don't want my carpets destroyed. Not only that...in just two weeks Buster will be at the vet's office for his neutering and will be in a crate/cage at the vet's office for two nights until I pick him back up.

Please see my other post for more information on the background if you need to. I would really appreciate some suggestions and I am at a loss as to how to get him used to the crate when he has been accustomed to having the roam of the house...the bed...the sofa, etc.

tianthai

Completely Boxer Crazy
I am really interested in knowing the answer to this one. Mine never even wants to go near his crate since we let him free after over a year. Now he is 2 1/2 and I am training him to go into the airline crate.

Barron's mom

Completely Boxer Crazy
Since you asked for suggestions...........throw a frozen treat and peanut butter filled kong in the crate. I have done that with my 9-month old since I got him and he loves it! He knows when it is time for him to go into the crate sbefore I leave for work and sits there patiently for his kong. Be sure to get the peanut butter underneath the ridges of the kong so he has to work at it! Good luck!

Box Boys

Boxer Insane
Below is my other post that has more information on our issues right now. But...in short, I opted NOT to use the crate during the day because we were gone for 7-8 hours at a stretch and had no one that could let him out during the day for a potty break. He was kept in the kitchen until he learned how to get out. He did sleep in the crate at night time until I started letting him sleep in the bed.

The day that I left him in the crate the entire day, I did put his kong in there with peanut butter and treats. He went in just fine. And to this day now...I continue to put treats or toys in the crate and he will go in. How do I get him used to being in the crate ALL DAY without bloodying his face or pottying in the crate. The vet says that he should be able to hold it that long and he showed us he can when I stopped putting down the newspapers. For 1.5 weeks he did great - no potty messes at all - then...it all reversed. That's when I tried the crate again.

Other post below:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need help!

I have a big problem and need help and advice with what to do.

Buster has had the roam of the house and been as good as gold. Recently, he no longer needed the newspapers left in the kitchen while we were at work and school during the day (7-8 hours). But, after just a week and a half of no accidents and no newspapers...he started peeing and pooping in the house - on my carpet! ;( I started leaving down newspapers again and he would poop on those, but continued to pee on my carpet. I borrowed a crate from a coworker and it's been in the house for about 5 days. I've slowly been putting him inside here and there in the evenings. Today though, I left him in the crate while we were gone. He had bedding, a couple blankets, a throw rug and some toys and water. When I got home, I was shocked!

Everything in the crate was turned upside down and poop was everywhere (including all over him). I carefully got him outside and began the work of gathering the contents out of the crate and into the washer. It was then that I noticed the blood in the crate too. Not tons but enough to make me worry if he had pulled some of his teeth out. I put water in the tub and wrapped him in a huge old beach towel and carried my 50 lb. boy through the house and into the tub. He wouldn't let me open his mouth. He was so scared and shaking. I got him all cleaned up and he smells great again. His mouth is rubbed raw though...and red. I'm talking about the area under his nose to the area under his bottom jaw (just under his mouth). I was able to look into his mouth when he was laying upside down and it looks as though all his teeth are all there. I guess that he must have been butting his face and mouth against the crate trying to get out today. I feel so terrible.

He's just not used to the crate. I used to use it for him to sleep at night when I first got him until he was about 3 months old when he started sleeping with me. He was ok with the crate then...but clearly not now.

I'm thinking that this will have to happen must slower...by adding up the time that he's in there, or possibly putting him in there during the time when we're home and seeing what he does. My fear is him hurting himself, even if I do it in smaller increments. I don't have anyone that can come and let him out during the day and I work too far away to do it myself either.

What can I do short of leaving him out again and him continuing to pee on my carpet. I'm so frustrated, but was really upset that he was bloodied and hurt. He had diarrhea...I think from being so stressed. Evern after he was cleaned up, I took him for a short walk and it just came out like water. My poor baby! Please help and give me some suggestions.

RoxDiezAlize

Boxer Buddy
Alize wasn't crated for the first 2 years of her life, as my mom had her, and didn't believe in crating a dog. So, my mom dealt with the absolute messes that she would come home to. When I brought Alize to live with me, I imediately bought a crate for her. She hated it, and I had a hell of a time there for awhile to get her to come back inside from the back yard when she knew she was about to go into her crate, but as time has gone by, she's gotten more used to it. She still doesn't like it, as she still tries to hide (at least she thinks she's hiding) when she knows she's gotta go in, but I don't have to hold her collar anymore when it's time. She'll walk to the crate by herself. I do give all 3 of them treats when I put them into their crates.

Alize is an escape artist tho, that's for sure. She's learned that she can open the crate door by ramming her head into the door. She's got marks on top of her head from it, but has never come out bloodied. I have to use a clip on the door now, so she can't get it open. Every now and then I still come home to find her crate in the middle of the room (with her still inside), instead of back in the corner where it's supposed to be.

What kind of crate do you use? Metal or plastic? If you use metal, maybe a plastic one would safer? Is there a way to put some kind of padding up inside the crate so he can't hurt himself? As for pottying in the crate.... how much room does he have in there? Maybe it's too big for him right now... I've always read that they really should only have enough room to stand up and move in a circle. Most dogs won't go where they lay, so having a crate that isn't too big is ideal. As always tho, accidents can happen.

I guess my point to this long post is that it just takes time to get them used to being crated again. Your boy may never like it, but I absolutely believe it's the way to go. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Oh... uh... and at the risk of being long winded (I know, too late!!) I saw your post to me in another thread... I'm in Milford. I used to live in Maineville for awhile, so I know where Lebanon is. What's a boxer party? Is that like a play date? :)

Box Boys

Boxer Insane
The crate I borrowed is a large metal crate (large enough for a german shepard)...much larger than Buster needs. I borrowed a plastic crate (smaller) from my mom, but Buster absolu.tely would not get near it. It was very enclosing. I wouldn't have liked it either (if I was him). Could be that this is just too big.

I did put Buster in the crate two separate times today (lured him in with his kong and treats)...both times he ended up relaxing enough to take a nap. Both times were for about an hour. I was in the great room the majority of the time that he was in the crate. I praised him greatly when I let him out. I'm going to try to put him in the crate when we leave for church on Sunday and he'll be in there about 2+ hours. I'm hoping that gradually working up his time will help.

I used to live in Milford...and most of my family is there still. It would be nice to arrange a play date for the boxers here in town all together...and give us "owners" a chance to socialize as well.

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
The crate I borrowed is a large metal crate (large enough for a german shepard)...much larger than Buster needs. I borrowed a plastic crate (smaller) from my mom, but Buster absolu.tely would not get near it. It was very enclosing. I wouldn't have liked it either (if I was him). Could be that this is just too big.

Poor Buster :( One of Caney's first crates was an enclosed plastic one like that, but at 11 weeks old she had horrible diarrhea in it while we were gone one day and it was so hard to clean out that we never used it again. Since then she has always had a wire one.

I doubt that the wire crate is too big for him. Or at least, I doubt that is what's causing his anxiety. You can stuff it with extra bedding if you need to, and even put a blanket over the top to make it a bit more cozy (you could drape it over the sides as well, but he might not like being THAT cozy ;)).

I did put Buster in the crate two separate times today (lured him in with his kong and treats)...both times he ended up relaxing enough to take a nap. Both times were for about an hour. I was in the great room the majority of the time that he was in the crate. I praised him greatly when I let him out. I'm going to try to put him in the crate when we leave for church on Sunday and he'll be in there about 2+ hours. I'm hoping that gradually working up his time will help.

Wow, that's great that he's actually going in it still. From what I've heard, a bad crate experience can really ruin it for them. I know I'm getting to this a little late, but I don't know how he will handle being crated for 2+ hours tomorrow while everyone is gone. Honestly I wouldn't think that he would be ready for that quite yet. Besides the incident last week, it sounds like all of the times he's been crated recently have been while you are home. And if you only crated him at night when he was younger -- well then, he's ALWAYS only been crated when you're at home. If that is true, that's probably why he's not taking to it so well. I would be very hesitant to crate him again so soon. I'd be afraid that he would hurt himself again, perhaps even worse the next time.

I don't want to discourage you :o it's still possible that he will get used to the crate again and be fine left alone. But, the more bad experiences he has... well, you know. Maybe it would be safest to "leave" for church 10 minutes early in the morning, so you can come back in and check on him; separation anxiety or crate anxiety usually manifests right as the owner is leaving, or right after he/she has left. If he's already begun to act nutty it would probably be a good idea to just leave him out this time.

I hope it goes smoothly :) I've got my fingers crossed!

Box Boys

Boxer Insane
Wow, that's great that he's actually going in it still. From what I've heard, a bad crate experience can really ruin it for them. I know I'm getting to this a little late, but I don't know how he will handle being crated for 2+ hours tomorrow while everyone is gone. Honestly I wouldn't think that he would be ready for that quite yet. Besides the incident last week, it sounds like all of the times he's been crated recently have been while you are home. And if you only crated him at night when he was younger -- well then, he's ALWAYS only been crated when you're at home. If that is true, that's probably why he's not taking to it so well. I would be very hesitant to crate him again so soon. I'd be afraid that he would hurt himself again, perhaps even worse the next time.

I don't want to discourage you :o it's still possible that he will get used to the crate again and be fine left alone. But, the more bad experiences he has... well, you know. Maybe it would be safest to "leave" for church 10 minutes early in the morning, so you can come back in and check on him; separation anxiety or crate anxiety usually manifests right as the owner is leaving, or right after he/she has left. If he's already begun to act nutty it would probably be a good idea to just leave him out this time.
I did leave Buster in the crate today. Tossed in a bone with peanut butter in the center and his kong filled with tasty goodies. He was occupied with the kong when I walked out the door. I did leave out his water bowl this time. But he did have one of his beds, his favorite blanket to sleep on and a couple toys. We were gone for 3 hours. Other than his blanket and bedding being tossed aside...no pee or poop mess...and no blood either! He was very excited to get out. I did notice that the area on his little face that he had rubbed raw and bloodied the other day looked more red today. Not sure if he did any more damage to that today, but at least I didn't see any blood.

I had never thought about your comment of him ONLY being in the crate (even when he was little) when we were home. Could have a lot to do with it too. That, and the fact that he's had total freedom and roam of the house...luxury of jumping onto my bed or the comfy sofa to take his nap and now he's being confined in a metal crate.

I do not plan to put him in the crate tomorrow. I do leave the door open and he actually just walked into it a few minutes ago to get one of his favorite tennis balls. I guess we'll just have to deal with cleaning up any messes on the carpeting for awhile longer.

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
I did leave Buster in the crate today. Tossed in a bone with peanut butter in the center and his kong filled with tasty goodies. He was occupied with the kong when I walked out the door. I did leave out his water bowl this time. But he did have one of his beds, his favorite blanket to sleep on and a couple toys. We were gone for 3 hours. Other than his blanket and bedding being tossed aside...no pee or poop mess...and no blood either! He was very excited to get out. I did notice that the area on his little face that he had rubbed raw and bloodied the other day looked more red today. Not sure if he did any more damage to that today, but at least I didn't see any blood.

I had never thought about your comment of him ONLY being in the crate (even when he was little) when we were home. Could have a lot to do with it too. That, and the fact that he's had total freedom and roam of the house...luxury of jumping onto my bed or the comfy sofa to take his nap and now he's being confined in a metal crate.

I do not plan to put him in the crate tomorrow. I do leave the door open and he actually just walked into it a few minutes ago to get one of his favorite tennis balls. I guess we'll just have to deal with cleaning up any messes on the carpeting for awhile longer.

That is great news :) Sounds like he is really improving. Maybe if you keep working up the time he's crated you can start leaving him during the day. OR maybe he'll stop having accidents and you won't end up needing it at all :) You know he can hold it that long... I wonder what made him start "going" in the house again if nothing else changed. Hopefully it's just a phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.