Counter surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ Boxer Boys

Boxer Insane
Our youngest, Marley, about 7 months old, has his front paws on the counter all of the time. He has had a couple of good experiences where he found something good to eat - our mistake for leaving stuff on the counter. Now we can't get him to stay off.

I can be preparing dinner and he's right there, up on the counter trying to get something. I tell him 'off' and help him off, but he just waits a minute and he's right back at it.

Justin, our other one, is much better. He at least waits until I'm out of the general area before he tries to see what I'm doing. But Marley has no fear (not that he should fear me, but he just thinks he has a right to have anything that might be up there.)

Any tips on getting them to stay off of the counters.

Cindy

Az Boxr Lovr

Boxer Insane
Cindy...too funny. I guess you can really tell that Joe and Marley are brothers because guess whose feet are always on the counters too?evilicon They are such fresh little boys. Just yesterday Joe finished the Halloween peeps...and darn it, I wanted them! Joe most certainly knows the off command, but uses his selective hearing more than not! I'm afraid that I am going to have to just learn to keep things off the counters!:p

Cheryl and Joe the counter surfing Boxer:D

blurble33

Completely Boxer Crazy
my youngest, buttercup, does the same thing if we are doing anything on the countertop she is right there :) and sometimes she just gets there to see if she can find anything we left behind :)

If you take some carpet tape (the heavy duty kind that is sticky on both sides) and put it where they will normally put there paws it will usually get them to stop. They really hate the sticky feeling of the tape and after a couple of times they associate it with the counter and will stay off.

AZ Boxer Boys

Boxer Insane
Thanks, sounds like a good idea - I think I'll try it. By the way, is it hard to get the tape off of the counter when they've learned the lesson?
Cindy

You can just pull the tape up, and then if they're any sticky spots rub them w/ baby oil or mineral oil and they will come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.