1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coughing

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by kathysboxer, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

Ok, Atlas is almost 4 months old, and not sure what is going on with him. He has had problems with runny poo (that's in the raw forum), has a tiny bit of mange (on intervectin sp?) for that as well as upping his salmon oil and vit. E. On Sat at 4am, I got woken up to him coughing really bad. For no better way to describe it, it almost sounds like a duck honking kind of cough. It was so bad, he was throwing up (white foam) and didn't seem able to catch his breath. I am thinking in a human, it almost sounds like whooping cough.

Buster (his brother) and Bailey had a vet appointment that day, so I called them and took Atlas with us. After having his heart listened to, lungs, etc, they decided it is what would be broncitis to us.
    So, I find he is now on 4 different medicines. He is on the interctin, flagyl, prednisone, and amoxil.
    He still has the cough, although not quite as bad. It seems to be mostly when he's running around, or goes outside into the cold. If we get him to settle down during a coughing fit, it doesn't seem to be quite so severe. Not sure if severe is the right word. He no longer coughs so hard he throws up, but still coughs all the same.
    If I can get a video of it, I will post it.
    Any ideas on this? Is the vet right, or am right in thinking it's something more than that. He has been on the meds since Sat. afternoon, so wouldn't they be kicking in by now? Am I just a worried mommy? The other dogs are fine. No coughing or anything. Just normal boxer crazy.
    Thanks guys :)

2. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

A honking cough, like you described is most often a symptom of kennel cough. It's just my opinion though having been around many dogs with this.
    It's also just my opinion but.....
    Administering prednisone to a dog for what narrows down to the common doggie cold is way overkill, especially to a dog that already has an under developed immune system--d-mange.
    I'm not saying your guy doesn't have bronchitis if that is what your vet determined.
    Antibiotics won't help KC either. It is a virus not a bacterial infection.
    I've never heard of interctin. Is it possible you spelled it wrong?
    Flagyl can help loose stools as early as a couple of days or can take as long as multiple weeks (or not at all). Depends on what is causing the stool issues.
    There is nothing in the mix you listed for the actual cough (cough medication) so that can linger for quite a while.....unless it was the medication I had not heard of before.
    I hope he is feeling better soon.

3. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

Thanks Cami for the quick reply. I had to head out to work, just a little bit after I posted it, and just got home.
    The medicine he is taking for his mange is invermectin. I had spelled it wrong. They have him using the liquid version. He takes .6 mg/day.
    I don't think I am going to continue the predisone. I just hate using steriods, even on people. And he is such a little guy (well, if 4 months and 31.7# is small LOL) I don't want to tax his system too badly.
    I know stressing his body isn't going to help with the mange.
    When I first heard him coughing that morning, kennel cough did occur to me, just due to the fact that he had been to the vet, and could have been exposed to it.
    His poo was looking pretty good this morning so I was hoping that maybe, perhaps, the flagyl is working.
    Then I remembered around 12:30 that I forgot to give him his prenisone and ivermectin. I called Mike and he gave it to him for me. An hour later, he calls me all po'd saying Atlas had the runny, watery poo, and it went in the house. Mike had let him out, he poo'd outside, and then he came in. Within 10 minutes, he poo'd 2 other times in the house, and each was worse than the first.
    I remembered earlier someone mentioned about the pumpkin, so I told him to give him about a teaspoon of it. He did, and when I let him out at 5 when I got home, his poo was soft, but looked "pooey" or sort of formed.
    Could it have been cause by the medication he was given at 12:30? When I left for work at 9:10, he was fine. No treats at all are being given to him. That is the only thing I can come up with.
    I will wean him off the prednisone starting tonight. They wanted him to have 2 pills/day for 5 days, then 1 pill/day for 5 days then 1 pill every other day for the remainder of the pills (5).
    So I will give him 1 pill/day for about 3 days then 1 pill every other day for about 3 days. Would that sound about right for weaning him off it?
    Also, would prozyme be a consideration? I don't want to do too much too quick, but not sure if a bit of pumpkin with each meal will get boring for him.
    Oh, I haven't given him any salmon oil or vit E until I get this aspect figured out. And he is eating TOTW lamb and sweet potato.
    Thanks again!!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  4. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

Did a little looking online for side effects of prednisone and invermectin. Both have side effects of diarrhea.
    Not sure how reliable the internet is on this, but that alone could explain this afternoon.
    It also says prednisone is at times prescribed for itching, hives, etc. But he doesn't really seem to be bothering with the site of the mange. And it's about the size of the point of a pencil, so it's not big at all, thankfully.
    I personally use grapefruit seed extract, which has antiseptic properties in it. I think I will dilute it (6oz water to 1-2 drops of extract) and put on the site as well. I don't think it would hurt. It just tastes terrible. But works great for a mouth wash!! LOL Might be able to use that instead of bitter apple, and lasts much longer too!!

5. Velveteen

Velveteen Boxer Pal

We had a lot of "poop problems" with our girl. Runny, almost mucous-y stool. Finally began to get it under control with a new vet when she was about a year and a half. We would fast her for a day and start flagyll and immodium, and then feed plain rice for one days, and then slowly integrate dry TOTW pacific salmon kibble over a few days. This worked wonders for her.. especially not making ANY dietary changes, no biscuits, table food, wet food, NOTHING! As time went on, if there were flare ups, we went back to this routine. Eventually we were able to add in a little TOTW pacific salmon wet food.. now, about a year and a half later, we are able to give plain hard biscuits and assorted Merrick wet food without a problem. Go figure!

What helped us was being consistent and not making any dietary changes. When she had stresses, such as coming into heat, getting a run with Giardia, being fed table scraps, etc., she'd have a flare up. Thus, the meds for the "bronchitis" and even just being sick could definitely worsen these symptoms... When this happened, we'd go back to the fasting and rice routine.

Amoxyl and prednisone were likely prescribed because they felt his "coughing" was an infection, not a virus. I always like to follow the doctors orders, especially with things like steroids or taking antibiotics. If you're concerned, definitely call your vet or seek a second opinion maybe from a homeopathic vet....

Were the meds being given with food? IE with the flagyll, we'd give Immodium 30 minutes before feeding to help coat her stomach, and then the flagyll 30 minutes AFTER feeding. Maybe doing that, and then also spacing out the 4 meds to 2 in the AM after feeding and 2 in the PM after feeding would help...

6. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

Thank you for the input :)
    His poo seems to be doing a better today, and he had his last flagyl pill yesterday. I am hoping it continues :D
    He still has his cough off and on. Yesterday he barely coughed, today it seems to be right back where we began :(
    Today is his last amoxil pill, and he is on the weaning process of the prednisone. I had decided to leave him on that, just in case there would be infection.
    His mange seems to be clearing up somewhat, just dry and scabbed now. He doesn't really bother it, other than licking it once in a great while.

I'll keep you all posted regarding his cough. I think it's getting better, but just takes time.

7. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

When my boy had kennel cough (twice) he had the cough for a good solid month as did my foster Boxer at the time. So it can take 3-4 weeks before that goes away.

Good luck!

8. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

Thank you for letting me know. He seems to get a bit better, then the next day he's hacking again! I was a bit worried, but I know Cami had mentioned it could last a while, but I was hoping the meds would have helped a bit :( But such is life, and had I known they wouldn't help, I wouldn't have given them to him. I guess better safe than sorry though.

9. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

You cannot help a virus, it just has to run it's course. The meds they give won't do anything unless there is a secondary bacterial infection (which isn't terribly common). I've never given meds with kennel cough...it's taken a month or so to go away but never given it for kennel cough. Now the 2nd time my boy had KC he got a secondary bacterial sinus infection that he took antibiotics for, but that just cleared up the sinus infection he still had the KC symptoms for a good 4 weeks.

Good luck!

10. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

I was a bit afraid of KC due to having 3 other dogs here, although they have been fine. I thought he may have contacted it from the vet as he was there a couple weeks earlier. The vet seemed to think it was more like a bronchitis after listening to his lungs. He was put o prednisone and amoxil. But I am thinking if it were bronchitis, the meds would have cleared it up. I will have to call them Monday and let them know their meds didn't work. Not because I want more, but so they know they didn't work. I feel without a doubt now that my original thoughts of KC were right on. I just hope the other 3 don't get it :( But they seem to be doing great, thankfully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.