1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coughing: take her in, or wait and see?

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Caney Creek, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caney Creek

    Caney Creek Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Messages:
    3,447
    Likes Received:
    70
    Caney has had a cough for the past 5-6 days. She doesn't cough all the time, just after she gets up from resting and when she gets excited. Every once in a while some yellow-green mucus will come up when she coughs. Her breathing sounds a little congested, and she has been slightly lethargic but she seems to be doing a little better these past 2 days.

    Could it be pneumonia? She doesn't seem to be feeling bad enough for it to be pneumonia but... I still worry :o and that makes me wonder if I should go and have her at least checked out. I don't want to let it go too long if it's something that needs to be treated. I would feel terrible if anything happened to her when it could have been easily treated.

    At the same time... I'm preparing myself for that "cure-all" prescription of steroids and antibiotics... which IMO are completely overused and, in the majority of cases, unnecessary. So if it ends up that I take her in and that's all they do for her, I'll be left wondering if she really actually needs it.... What to do?? noideaicon
     
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. whiskers

    whiskers Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2009
    Messages:
    1,683
    Likes Received:
    105
    Personally my opinion is to always get a new cough checked out, unless it's just a case of kennel cough. Probably they'll take an x-ray and go from there. I'm not sure that you'll necessarily see steroids prescribed for this, antibiotics sure.... but in any case the steroids I'd likely just skip if you're not comfortable with them. I don't mind using antibiotics if the situation seems appropriate.

    My other thought is that since it's been pretty much a week, you've already kind of been taking the "wait and see" approach. Maybe schedule something a couple days out and see if she makes any improvement between now and then, and cancel it if she's doing better.
     
  3. Caney Creek

    Caney Creek Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Messages:
    3,447
    Likes Received:
    70
    Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! I also do not mind antibiotics when they are necessary, but since they are prescribed so often when they are NOT necessary... I feel like, if they did prescribe her antibiotics, I wouldn't really know what to do, ya know? I would question whether she REALLY needs them or not. I guess that would just mean more questions for the vet and then I would have to use my best judgement.

    On the bright side... I may have spoken too soon... the "sick one" just did crazy-dog boxer burns around the backyard for 20 minutes straight. I think she's feeling better. :) I'll give it a few more days!
     
  4. TwoDogs

    TwoDogs Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2007
    Messages:
    1,472
    Likes Received:
    18
    I think I'd take her in. The fact that she's coughing upon standing after rest doesn't sound good to me. It is normal for kennel cough to cause coughing when the dog is exerting itself, but usually not if the dog is at rest. If it is pneumonia when she stands up it can be causing a shifting in the fluid that has built up in the lungs. That can cause coughing upon standing. Also, heart disease can cause a build up of fluid in the lungs that can cause coughing upon standing and coughing upon exertion as well. Here's hoping it is just a respiratory infection. If one of my dogs had lethargy, coughing, and phlegm I'd probably go with an antibiotic if my vet prescribed it. Is she running a fever?
     
  5. Caney Creek

    Caney Creek Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Messages:
    3,447
    Likes Received:
    70
    No fever. She ran around the backyard like crazy just a little while ago and seems to be feeling better. To my surprise she didn't even cough afterward. :confused: Would you say she's improving or still in need of a vet visit?
     
  6. TwoDogs

    TwoDogs Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2007
    Messages:
    1,472
    Likes Received:
    18
    Sounds like she's feeling better then. If you're seeing her energy come back and a decrease in the coughing, I'd probably just watch her. If the trend continues, she's probably on the mend. If the symptoms worsen or come back, take note of in which situations and give a call to the vet.
     
  7. Caney Creek

    Caney Creek Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Messages:
    3,447
    Likes Received:
    70
    Thanks, I'll definitely keep an eye on her. A possible heart condition scares me... I knew that coughing could be a symptom of heart problems but I didn't know that it could cause mucus, I figured that the mucus was an indication of some kind of virus or other infection. If it were a heart condition would she be showing signs of improvement? Could the symptoms go away for a while?
     
  8. Tuff Love

    Tuff Love Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2007
    Messages:
    1,734
    Likes Received:
    26
    I hope Caney is on her way to being all better. Thora sometimes has a random hack with a little clear mucus when she is playing real hard with her one boxer buddy. She literally only does it when she plays with him and they play pretty hard together, so I never made a fuss over it. He does it too sometimes. The idea of a heart condition scares me too but I also not to lose my head with worry when it could very well be nothing :)
     
  9. Caney Creek

    Caney Creek Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Messages:
    3,447
    Likes Received:
    70
    Worried....

    Well I thought Caney was getting over whatever was causing the cough, she went the past 2 days without coughing and during those days her energy level improved as well. Then today she started coughing again. It's not a lot... I think I've heard her just twice today... but then I discovered something else that made me worry.

    I was cleaning her ears and her paws just now (which I do at least once a week, usually more) and I noticed 2 bumps -- the biggest one being a little larger than a pencil eraser -- that were NOT there a week ago. I also noticed that one of her pre-existing bumps (a hemangioma on the inside of one of her ears) has obviously grown since last week. :(

    So of course now I'm wondering, what else might be happening internally that I can't see? And could the coughing be a result of something much more serious?? A heart condition, or hemangiosarcoma? I sure hope that's not the case but I am definitely worried now. :(

    I will without a doubt be taking her to the vet next week. Does anyone know what kind of testing I should ask for to see if it's cancer or heart-related?
     
  10. boxrmommy

    boxrmommy Boxer Booster

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2008
    Messages:
    255
    Likes Received:
    1
    It never hurts for an opinion. If it is nothing, you have peace of mind. If you catch something early, plus plus. I dont have "chldren" but if I did I would take every precaution. You have done the best holding out to see if it gets better. I would schedule a time soon for a review.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page