1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooking the food

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Roxie'sMommy, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roxie'sMommy

Roxie'sMommy Boxer Booster

I was wondering if anyone else cooks their dogs food before feeding them. I feed nutro natural choice (but am switching to chicken soup soon) and I always add hot water to Roxie's food to make it expand, then drain the excess water, then feed it to her. I was just curious if anyone else does that? Or if I should even continue doing it?

Karla

2. swooley

swooley Boxer Pal

Wyatt gets slushies since he can only have liquid foods. Every weekend is devoted to making enough meals to last the week and we have to add more warm water right before feeding.

3. Roxie'sMommy

Roxie'sMommy Boxer Booster

I do it because I heard it reduces bloating (since i am already expanding the food before it gets into her stomach). I guess I was wondering if there is any truth to this or if it really makes a different?

4. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

No, I don't believe there is any truth to that.

In fact, you need to check the ingredient list of a kibble before you pre-soak it. If the preservative used is citric acid, the pre-soaking it increases the risk of bloat by a very large margin. Don't panic here - neither the kibble you're currently feeding nor the one you're considering switching to happen to use that preservative. But it is worth knowing for future reference.

In respect of bloat, there is a sticky thread at the top of the health forum with links to research into factors that increase or decrease the risk of bloat. With the exception of the pre-soaking/citric acid issue, wetting the kibble is not a factor that makes any difference one way or the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.