Converting Home Movies to DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxmom

Boxer Insane
So I am embarking on this project to convert my Dad's old 8mm home movies to digital form. He gave me the movies (about 40 of them) and the old Kodak Brownie 500 projector (circa 1950!!). Three movies into it I have blown up the projector--blown light bulb ($38), bad switch ($10), and motor sounds like it is about to quit. The entire family is really jazzed about getting these movies on DVD--my dad was pretty good with the camera, and back in the day they pretty much only took movies of the really important stuff due to the high cost of the film and processing, not to mention the equipment was not exactly "plug and play" like today's stuff. Anyway, I have found a slightly less vintage projector on Ebay for about $40 and am anxiously awaiting its' arrival. This projector also has "variable speed"--which I guess will help to eliminate some of the "flicker-effect" when recording it digitally (the process is to actually record the movie with a digital camcorder using a box with a mirror in it to flip the image). Has anyone done this, and if so, any advice or suggestions to help make this great? Or advice on how not to blow up any more equipment? I do not have any special video editing software--I just use Windows Live Movie Maker. Is there anything out there that is reasonably priced? The three short films that I was able to record came out surprisingly good. I did not think the quality would be there, but it is. BTW, all these movies are "silent".

Status
Not open for further replies.