1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

controlling a seizure disorder

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by RockyCody, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockyCody

RockyCody Completely Boxer Crazy

Hello.

A co-worker of mine has a 9 year old golden named Basil. He is on pheno-barb and has been for a few years for seizures. He had a seizure last november and she just told me he had another one last night.

My question is this - what are the options to control a seizure? I tried searching the threads here but I don't see any names of meds or anything mentioned.

Are there other meds that can be used to prevent seizures? Anyone have any experience or advice with CHRONIC seizures?

Thanks!

2. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

3. johann

johann Boxer Insane

Valium can be used and potassium bromide is used as an adjunct to Phenobarb.

Good luck to your friend.

4. RockyCody

RockyCody Completely Boxer Crazy

Thank you both! I shared the links and information with my co-worker. Hopefully they can find a way to make sure Basil is okay!!

5. RoxiesEcho

RoxiesEcho Boxer Insane

Even on Pheno the seizures do not go away completely. My Reggie has been on Pheno for years. He still has episodes on occasion but they are much less frequent and much milder than prior to medication. His muscles used to get really tight when one would occur and he would sort of contort. Now he even tries to walk during one and while I know I shouldn't, I sometimes laugh at him because he looks so funny. It's usually when he thinks it's all over and he decides he can leave me and go back to what he was doing before it all started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.