Considering barf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cami

Boxer Insane
I have been considering BARF for my girl for a few months now. The only thing that is holding me off is the fact that I don't have the time nor the means to prepare these meals. I noticed in a previous post that there are numerous companies that these meals can be obtained from, (one located in my home state).

I understand the many health benefits, but I am so unfamilliar with all of the different terms (tripe comes to mind!). Are these meals that are prepared and then bought just as beneficial as doing it yourself? I wouldn't even know where to begin on cooking a chicken neck or the other 100's of items that I didn't even know existed.

I also worry about detox....I know that it is short term but I worry about my girl not feeling well. My dh wouldn't mind losing the weekly "poo-detail" and I would love to know that I was doing everything in my power to give my girl a healthy and long productive life.

So, I guess what I "want" to hear is, "Yes, the meals that can be bought are just as good!!!" But, if it sounds to good to be true it usually is.....

Any advice, or direction?? Thanks

Bers

Banned
You can get premade BARF in different forms. I just started feeding Koda Dr. Billinghurst's premade BARF patties, and they come frozen with absolutely everything included. You just thaw and serve. This is very convenient, but also very expensive (about $70 for 25 lb. of food, and he's eating a pound a day). That's one option, and there are other manufacturers that make similar products, but you really have to be careful who you get it from to ensure they use the best ingredients and know what they're doing.

Another option is to get premade BARF from a company like the one suggested to me in a previous thread that is here in Ohio. With their products, the raw meaty bones, muscle meat, tripe (contents and lining of the stomach), offal, and veggies come in separate containers, also frozen. Then you thaw and put everything together for your dog's meals. The benefit of this is variety, and the RMB's (raw meaty bones), with a ground mix the bones are also ground and the dog doesn't get the benefit of chewing/tearing the food apart.

It seems to me that doing it yourself at home is probably the cheapest and healthiest way to go (the raw food will lose some nutrition from freezing, but not too much), but certainly not the easiest thing in the world to manage, although most everyone says it's not hard to do once you get used to it. I also worry about not doing it right, if I leave it up to myself, but I guess confidence would come over time. One other point: with a BARF diet, you don't cook chicken necks, or anything else you give your dog. Everything is given raw, that's the point.

Good luck, let us know what you decide. If you're interested in the BARF patties you can go to BARFworld, Dr. Billinghurst's website to find a distributor in your area.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
It really doesn't take a lot of time. It take me maybe 2 minutes to get their breakfast (chicken backs and necks) and maybe five minutes at the most get their dinner ready. It's preparing the food to put in the freezer that takes the time. It takes me a couple of hours to do 40 kilo's of chicken, but that is only once every couple of months and maybe and hours or so freezing other stuff every month or so. If you have some natural pet stores near your can usually but it all ready for the freezer in meal size portion, but it is pretty expensive. The prepared ground mixes are okay, but meat on the bone is really much better for them.

There is not doubt that preparing the food takes a little time, but it worth it for their long term health.

myrocky

Boxer Insane
Cami said:
I wouldn't even know where to begin on cooking a chicken neck or the other 100's of items that I didn't even know existed.

The chicken necks aren't cooked. ;) Those are fed raw, everything in the barf diet is fed raw. I order the premade stuff from the Ohio company because some things I have not found a place where I can purchase it. For premade stuff I get beef organs, tripe, rabbit, lamb and cornish game hen. This is because it's a variety, they come ground, and some are mixed with veggies. For other things like the chicken necks, marrow bones, ground buffalo and ground beef I get locally at The North Market. The two meat vendors are very nice and get your orders to you in a timely manner. The poultry place caters to raw feeders a lot and they don't even bat an eye when you tell them you want 40lbs of necks. They also give a discount for bulk orders. :D

Detox is different for every dog but it typically does not last long at all. I do not think that the dog feels under the weather when going through detox. It's more of an increase in eye boogers and muscousy stools as opposed to feeling ill. :)

Cami

Boxer Insane
Ok, after reading the responses to my post I had to re-read what I wrote. I meant to say "prepare" chicken necks, not cook them.....LOL

I am not a really big meat fan and therefore don't handle much of it. The occasional hamburger or chicken breast is about my limit. It's an issue that I have had since a child and have not been able to break free from. That's my biggest fear in switching Cami to a barf diet, the actual handling of the items in order to prepare it for her.

If I could find a pre-made supplier that had a terrific product I wouldn't mind the price. She is presently on Eagle Pack Holistic Select and Wellness, these are pretty good foods, however I know that a barf diet is more beneficial for her.

Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.