1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

considering adoption of a heartworm postive dog....many questions

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by msnitsirk, Dec 15, 2017.

1. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

We are considering meeting Ariana on Saturday. She is a two and a half year old boxer/mastiff mix and 80lbs of love. I can, and of course I will, do my research about heartworm positive dogs. I just want to post here to get your experiences. I find Boxerworld is much more reliable than a Google search. The shelter will pay for her treatment at no cost to the adopter but I just want to make sure I understand what I am getting into if we decide she is a good fit for our home.

This particular shelter pulls dogs from kill shelters in our area. They also have a high success rate with moving the dogs into furever homes. With that said, the dog history is often not known or sketchy at best. They do a really good job of vetting dogs and determining if they are other dog/cat friendly but they often don't know the dog's history.

If anyone has adopted a heart worm positive dog I would like to hear your experience. From what I understand, dogs undergoing this treatment need to be kept quiet, and I do have a quiet household, just me the BF, no kids. We do both work at least 8 hour days though. Not many dogs can handle that either, I get it. I do have a doggy sitter than can come when we both have late days.

Thanks all, opinions welcome!

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I don't have any experience. I understand that you have to keep them really quiet while they are undergoing treatment. It might depend on how bad the heartworms are. You would probably have to crate him while you aren't there. Go for it. She needs a forever home. :)

3. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

We did not go Saturday after discussing it much on Friday night and thought we might go later this week since we are both on vacation until the New Year. I called yesterday with some questions and she has been adopted!! applauseicon That actually makes me happy. I do want footprints in my home again but this one was not meant to be.

4. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

it's great that she was adopted. I am sure there is another boxer out there that needs to be rescued. Good luck!

5. LoveMyDoggie

LoveMyDoggie Boxer Insane

For future reference we are currently fostering a Lab that is heart worm positive. It is about a 5 month process to clear it up. Medicine has come a long way in treating this and as long as you can keep the puppy calm the success rate is about 100%.

msnitsirk likes this.
  6. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

Thank you! This particular dog was adopted but I treasure your response and will keep it in mind as I navigate the adoption process. Thank you so much!