1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering adopting a boxer that has swollen nipples and vulva, but has been fixed?

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by brindlemom, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brindlemom

brindlemom Boxer Pal

We are shopping around for a rescue or re-home boxer. We are ready to add a boxer to the family, but don't want a puppy. This little girl, according to the owner, is about 18 months old and fixed. BUT her breasts are swollen and her vulva is swollen (it was the very first thing I noticed, so it's big). It's not red, and she seems to act fine, though she was on the skinny side. Would you shy away from this dog, or could these be "normal" for a dog that may have gotten spayed after a heat cycle?

2. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

I wouldn't pass on a dog simply for cosmetic reasons... unless you suspect that the owner is lying to you and the dog is not spayed?? I have known female dogs who have gone through heat cycles before being spayed and their nipples were always a little larger compared to other females who had never experienced a heat cycle... but the vulva being so swollen is a little odd IF the dog is in fact spayed. Unless, she recently had a litter and was spayed soon after the puppies were weaned. Did the owner say if she'd had puppies? Did they say when she was spayed? I would probably ask to see the vet records from her spay before going any further. It wouldn't be a bad thing if she weren't spayed (you'd just have to get it done yourself), only bad if the current owners are lying about it.

3. brindlemom

brindlemom Boxer Pal

Right -- I'm just concerned that the current owners are trying to lie about an underlying health problem. We did ask and she's never had puppies, though I didn't ask WHEN she was spayed so it's possible that she'd already gone thru a heat cycle. I just worry that she's gotten pregnant and they're trying to pawn her and her puppies off on some unsuspecting soul (me) so they don't have to deal with a litter of pups. Or if she had some sort of recurring issue that would be costly and hazardous for her. They told me where they take her to the vet, but the vet closes at noon on Wednesdays (I wish I worked there!), so I haven't gotten her official records yet.

4. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

My staffy had a very large, protruding vulva and I was really concerned cause Lily's was so "dainty" LOL. Once I had her spayed her nipples shrank up a little and her vulva shrank inward as well. They were both obviously still noticeable, but much more prettier. We were not sure of a past litter either, but didn't change my mind taking her home. She was the sweetest thing in the world! I'm glad I didn't let her go because of my fears.

Waiting on the vet's report will only confirm what the owner's are telling you. Hopefully she is just fine and had a late spay and you can be assured that her feminine appearance will improve in time.

5. cantfindlog

cantfindlog Completely Boxer Crazy

When I adopted Leah it was the same as what you are describing. It was the first thing I noticed. When I went on our first visit Leah was just spayed a couple of weeks prior and had gone thru at least one heat cycle maybe two. She did not have puppies.

I will have her a year in February and while her nipples have shrank up to normal, her vulva is still a little noticable but not anything like it used to look. So, overall both parts shrank up and looks better.

6. brindlemom

brindlemom Boxer Pal

Well, the owner's vet reference didn't pan out...he didn't have the paperwork, but said that she was taken to a vet on a certain street. I called all on that street and none have records of seeing her :( SO he's lying about her for some reason. That just makes me feel bad, like I should rescue her from that situation. She was super-sweet. But we're scheduled to meet another dog on Saturday, so maybe we'll go ahead with that and go from there...if we feel like she's a better match and she's still available, then it was meant to be :)

7. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

That's a shame they are hiding whatever truth there is. If they were honest, I bet that dog would have found a new home just because they felt it needed it and the medical care as well. But since they can't be honest, that poor dog will probably end up in a much more horrible situation.

I wish I was close, I'd rescue her ~ if only to give her a better life for whatever time she has in this world. Poor thing.

8. harleyboxer

harleyboxer Super Boxer

You could always flip her over and see if she has a scar. If she's still pretty young you should be able to see it..... If you took her you could always just have her spayed. She's pretty young to have any medical problems pertaining to not being spayed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.