1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conscience check - which is more humane?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by msnitsirk, Dec 15, 2016.

1. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

This will be very very long winded and I apologize in advance to anyone who will listen/read and offer advice......

I always used to post and say I was a newbie here when I posted. I think I've been around long enough not to be a newbie anymore. I think many of your know me and Sammie by now. I certainly appreciate all the support I got from you all before I took a 2 week vacation to Iceland. Sammie had a spell before that and you all were very supportive and thankfully Sammie had no issues while I was in Iceland or since. For a 10 year old Boxer she is quite the trooper and I thank you all for your support while I had my mini-meltdown before I left her with my more than capable pet sitter. I thank you all and I thank my sitter.

The reason for my against right now is that I have a cat here on our property since last July. Not July 2016, July 2015. I am allergic to cats, my bf is allergic to cats and neither of us really like cats. Regardless, she showed up, had no where else to go and we fed her. Now she's been with us as an outside cat since July 2015. She is not feral. She obviously used to be someones pet that ran away or got dumped (I think the more likely scenario) Even in summer she stares through our sliding glass door and wants to be inside. I have purchased a heated outdoor kitty house that I plug in under my covered porch for her. Last winter was no problem. This winter we are already seeing below zero temps and I'm not sure that thing is warm enough for her. She's not left it in over a week except to eat or drink the warm water I give her twice a day. (I can't do more, I work 8 hours away from home.)

When she first showed up here in July 2015 I quickly put her on Facebook, Craigslist, and any pet shelter that would listen. I contacted them ALL. Unwanted cats are a HUGE problem in our county. Most shelters told me no or would not call me back. Facebook and Craigslist only offered one or two goofballs that can't take care of themselves much less a cat.

My only options are to keep her as she is and let her suffer out the storm in the heated kitty house on my porch or call my county animal control and let them do what they will. My county shelter is technically "no kill" but they still euthanize "un-adoptable pets." When I called every shelter in a 20 mile radius I did not call my own county shelter b/c they have been under scrutiny for several years with revolving directors. They have even had shut down for cat diseases. I think even in cold temps this cat might be better on my porch.

As you can all see, at least those of you that got this far, I'm not taking this lightly. Is she better off in a shelter cage for a possible adoption or better off in a maybe warm enough shelter on my porch? I wrestle with this each day our wind chill drops farther below zero.

Advice appreciated.

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Since you are both allergic to cats you obviously can't let her inside. I think you are doing all you can for her. I would think that she is better off in her current situation than being in an animal shelter. She is lucky to have a heated cat house. What does she have for bedding? I would replace it regularly so it doesn't get damp and make sure that the entrance has a flap on it and faces away from the wind.

Good luck!

3. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

The bedding of the kitty house is a heated pad that is covered in a fleece material. It activates when she sits on it. The house has two entrance flaps so that she has an exit option of a predator comes. The house is under my fully covered porch so 99% of the time it says dry and protects from the wind. My vet says its enough and not to worry about it, cats are tough. One time last year we had a weird wind direction during a blizzard and the whole inside of the house got snowy and wet. That night I put her in the garage but that's not a option this year. B/F moved some stuff to the garage that he doesn't want to take a chance of her scratching up or peeing on. (if that blizzard situation happens again, he might cave though)

Thanks for the ear and confirming my thoughts of letting her tough it out rather than cage her up in a shelter. The winter months are tough but otherwise she does just fine here. I'll keep trying to find her a home, my vet is looking for me too. They almost had a taker, and older gentleman that lost his kitty companion, but he wasn't ready at the time (too heartbroken). That was last year. Maybe I'll ask them to try him again.

Thank you again for the ear and the reply!

4. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

You can try talking to friends and hoping one will take pity and take her in. I have to agree that she is probably better off with you than in a shelter. Maybe if you are expecting a bad storm, you can add an extra layer of protection. Go by an appliance store and get a big box. After cutting small hole for a door, set it over the heated box and throw a tarp on top of that. Add sand bags on the flaps at the bottom to keep it from blowing away. If the box is big enough the food and water can be kept dry too. Maybe even get a kitty litter pan in there.

Thanks for helping this kitty. And I am so glad that Sammie is doing well.

5. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

That is a good idea about the box. If you had the entrances facing different directions, the wind would be kept out and it would be unlikely to ever get wet inside.
    Good luck!

msnitsirk likes this.
  6. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

Great idea! Thank you!!! I've been racking my brain to find a way to keep her safe and warm. Even though I am not a "cat person" I am a "pet person." I read this too late for our current storm but I also think the current storm won't screw up her kitty house. I'll work on this for the next one. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

PS- my friends (even cat friendly friends, will choke me if I ever mention her again.) Its a total shame b/c she really is a cool cat. She is actually more like a dog. In the summer when I tend the garden she is always close by. When I pull weeds, she's always trying to get involved. She would be a really really great indoor/outdoor cat for the right person. She is independent and loves to hunt but she also appreciates a warm lap on any day.

I see myself as a long time foster for her. She need a "real" home though. I'll keep trying.....

Thank you so much for reading and offering advice!!!!!

Roge likes this.
  7. rena

rena Boxer Booster

My Dad has an outdoor cat - he made a cat house and added a heating pad. One word of caution is to watch the heated pad - my Dads' had an electrical short and nearly caught his house on fire. He removed the heated pad and we lined the box with a real sheepskin rug (got a fairly big one at our Sam's Club). His cat hangs out in his cat house and it has been toasty warm when I check it - even on the coldest days. We live in Missouri, so get very cold days but typically doesn't last long.

msnitsirk likes this.
  8. cantfindlog

cantfindlog Completely Boxer Crazy

I feel how you are taking care of cat is fine. My father in law has an outdoor cat. He built a large kennel for her. Inside the kennel is a heated house. She is feed in morning and let out and she can come & go as she wants. He calls for her at night and she comes to "kennel up" for supper and is in for the night. She is fixed & is taken to the vet when needed. He's had her for 5yrs and it works well for both. We're in WI, so we get plenty of cold and snow.

Good luck, cat is better with you.

msnitsirk likes this.
  9. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

The heated house I have for her is designed to be outside. It is not homemade and the electrical cord is very insulated. I still worry about fire and thank you very much for your insight. Please send me a link or PM for the sheepskin. I do have a Samsclub membership but have not seen that. Thank you so much!!!

10. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

Thank you for your reply! I am in NW Indiana in the snow belt region. We get the lake effect here. I do take this kitty to vet for necessities but wish I could find her a "real and forever" home.

Regardless, she is safe with me for now. We had below 0 windchills last week but today is almost 40 Fahrenheit and she and I are in heaven!!

cantfindlog likes this.