1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cone after neutering?

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by LLeonard, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLeonard

LLeonard Boxer Pal

Just got Leonard back from the vet after his surgery (it went very well) and the vet said to have him wear a cone for 10 days to two weeks? Seriously? Two weeks with a 7 month old boxer in a head cone? Anyone have a similar experience, and how long were you able to keep your dog in a cone? I can only imagine a few days from now trying to keep / get Leonard in a cone...

2. trc4941

trc4941 Super Boxer

Neither of our boys had to wear cones after neutering. They never touched their stitches. They went to different vets, and neither vet even mentioned the dreaded cone collar. Good Luck!!

3. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

Your vet seems to be an overly cautious one. While that is good in a lot of situations in this particular one I think it is a bit overkill.
    Take the collar off and see how he responds to the surgical incision. If he seems too interested in it you can always put it back on.
    I suspect he won't even care!
    Wearing the cones create more problems. They can't stand them. I wish more vets would opt to carry the bitenot collars. Much easier for them to get around with.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  4. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

I had a cone at home just in case, but personally we never needed it. I always try the dogs, whether spayed or neutered, without them first and if they aren't going nuts over their incision(s) then I don't use it, if they are then I do. So, personally I go by the individual dog and I've never had to use one yet.

5. claresmom

claresmom Boxer Booster

My vet offered if we thought she would need it, but she did great!

6. Austin's Mom

Austin's Mom Boxer Insane

I've never, ever used a cone with Austin with any of his surgeries. I always just watched him closely.

7. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

I do fostering so we deal with many neuters & spays here. I usually keep it on the 1st two days. Then I take it off. If they don’t lick I keep it off. If they start licking I put the cone on when I am not watching them. Some dogs don’t even notice the incision and others are obsessed with it so, like another poster wrote, it really depends on the dog.

My own dog Rosco was relentlessly licking and even popped a couple stitches so he had to wear his cone. Then he became a pro at getting it off so that was a whole other challenge.

8. tobyharper

tobyharper Boxer Pal

Our puppies...

didn't need the cone either. They were very good about licking their stitches. The biggest problem we had was trying to keep them calm and not wrestling during their recovery.

9. Sablegirl

Sablegirl Super Boxer

Never had a male dog but our female dogs never used cone after being spayed and did fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.