concerned parent

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenz

Boxer Booster
Maggie will be getting fixed tomorrow. I will be very ad when I come home from work on Friday, and she won't be there to greet me. We will spending our first night without her.

I know we are doing the right thing, but I am still worried. I will be glad when it is over.

For anyone who has gone through this, what was the recovery time?

------------------
Maggie - flashy fawn, born 4/2000, natural ears, part human.

Jessica

Boxer Booster
Don't worry too much. Zoe went in at 6 mos, first thing in the morning around 7:30 a.m., and the vet called us by noon saying everything went well and she was awake. I would be sure to ask your vet to call you as soon as she wakes up (ours always did) or check in at lunch time. Are you dropping her off first thing in the morning?

I picked her up that afternoon, around 5 p.m., when I left work and thought she would probably be sore and groggy. Oh, no! She came sprinting out of the back kennel area, jumped in my arms and started kidney beaning right there in the vet office. :) Then once we got home she never stopped, greeting my husband, then Jake our yellow lab, playing as if nothing ever happened.

Her scar was so small we couldn't hardly see it without studying her stomach VERY closely. We restricted her activities for a day or so, just to be sure, but she never had any problems. Ate normally, went to the bathroom, etc. as if nothing ever happened. It was quite a dramatic difference from when we brought her home after her ear cropping, definitely much more pain and suffering, grogginess after that than spaying.

Good luck, I'm sure everything will be fine. If you trust your vet, then don't stress over it. Just be sure to check in or have them call youfor peace of mind after it's all over. Keep us updated on how it goes! Jessica
------------------------------
Zoe-1/16/00, plain fawn, cropped, spayed, docked
Jake-2/3/98, yellow lab

chickenz

Boxer Booster
Thanks, I do trust my vet very much. Maggie gets dropped off at 8:30 a.m., but the vet keeps them overnight, that is his procedure. I will ask him to call so we know everything is ok.

------------------

daizzy04

Boxer Pal
chickenz,

I was SOOOO scared when Daizzy went to be spayed. I was a wreck at work all day until I picked her up. She did fine!!! A little lazy and groggy the first day. The worst part was trying to keep her calm until the stitches came out. I was so afraid she would ripe them out because she acted like nothing had happened to her. Our Vet double stitched her and I was so glad.

One other thing her scar was pretty big (2-3 inches)and looked like she was ruptured.
I was scared something was wrong but it's fine now. It has only been about 6 weeks.

Good luck Maggie and Chickenz!

tedjax

Completely Boxer Crazy
Oh I know you're going to miss your Maggie so much. She will be fine; it's a pretty safe procedure. One thing though, tell your vet not to use ACEPromezine(sp); it's some kind of anesthesia or tranquilizer. Boxers have a low tolerance for this stuff. He probably knows that already but mine did not and he gave it to Indy. We had no bad effects but I won't let him use it anymore. Beauty hardly has a scar from her surgery. Good luck and let us know how Maggie does!

------------------
Trish
Indy-Neutered, Natural, Fawn, Flashy-10/6/98
Beauty-Spayed,Cropped, Fawn, Black Mask-9/20/94; Adopted from rescue in New Orleans
Shiloh-10/18/85 to 10/14/98; Waiting for me at the Bridge

Z's Mom

Boxer Booster
Make sure your Vet does not use Acepromazine. This has been known to cause fatalities in Boxers. Other than that, everything should go smoothly. Zoey was spayed at 6 months. Aside from feeling a little nauseous from the sedative, she was her nomal self by the next day. Here is an article you can read regarding the Ace:
http://www.erinet.com/ghost/no-ace.htm

Good luck and please keep us posted!

------------------
Owned by
Zoey 2 year old flashy fawn female
Spunky 14 year old chubby beagle

Linda

Boxer Insane
I completely understand your concerns.
Bailey was spayed at 6 mos. old by the vet clinic we'd been going to for 15 years or more. I was still a little worried.

She, too, had to spend the night. I called the afternoon she had surgery to check on how she was doing, and the new receptionist said, in a very monotone voice, "I'll get someone to talk to you about that." My heart almost stopped!! Of course, she was fine.

She bounced back really quickly. The day we brought her home she seemed pretty usual, except she played a little shorter periods and slept a little bit more. You probably won't notice much difference in her at all.

Just remember, you are doing the responsible thing! :D

Jessica

Boxer Booster
An after thought from Daizzy04's message, but Zoe never had stitches that had to be removed, so her scar was very tiny and minimal. They had used that new "glue" and we couldn't hardly tell. We never had to take her back for stitch removal or anything. Hope your vet does something like this, it's much less painful for your pup and lots less hassle for you! Let us know how everything goes when you get her home. :) Jessica
------------------------------------
Zoe-1/16/00, plain fawn, cropped, spayed, docked
Jake, 2/3/98, yellow lab

chickenz

Boxer Booster
Thanks for all the advice and infor, especially about Acepromazine, which my vet does not use. He told me to call about 3:00 to see how things are going.

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.