Computer Question....

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elsa

I did a defrag on my computer last week; it took over an hour to complete. Will it always take the same amount of time? This was the first one I had done since I got the computer. I also did not notice that my computer was faster. Am I wrong in thinking that faster speed would be a benefit from a defrag?

Boxerworld

BW owner
Staff member
Originally posted by Elsa
Am I wrong in thinking that faster speed would be a benefit from a defrag?

No, you are right! I do a daily defrag/scandisk as I want my hard disk to be fast. I install and uninstall many programs so a defrag is needed. If you do not move many files, you do not need to do it often. It can take 10 hours to defrag my disk! smashicon

Olly

L

Little Vera

Re: Re: Computer Question....

Originally posted by Boxerworld

If you do not move many files, you do not need to do it often. It can take 10 hours to defrag my disk! smashicon

Olly

Olly, a 10 hour ( :eek: ) defragment?!?!?! WOW!

Boxerworld

BW owner
Staff member
It is a 40 Gb drive and I do a daily backup which mean I delete the three days old backup. The worst drive I have ever seen was Sabrina Jay's drive (she posts here). I think she never used defrag :o

Olly

Tulsa-Dan

Your Friendly Moderator
I only have a 9GB HD, but I defrag once a week. Sunday is my computer upkeep day when I clean up stuff, clear out old crap, back up files and then do a complete virus scan, complete disk scan and disk clean up and then do a defrag.

The first time always takes the longest, especially if you use the feature where it puts programs most often used near the front of the HD. But it shouldn't take as long the next time if you do it on a regular basis.

If I install or uninstall stuff, I always do an additional scan and defrag, just to keep things running smoothly.

Have you run your SFC yet? I'm sure you'll have more questions when you get around to doing that (System File Checker).

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.