cockatiel cough

Status
Not open for further replies.

niteworm

Boxer Booster
Hi all, I've talked about my Krissy (cockatiel) on here about 2001. Krissy is about 10 yrs now and I noticed this morning she has a weird thing she is doing. She woke me with a loud screech so I looked down the hall and was waching her , she had her head looking up making really weird noises. I'm not sure if it's a cough or what. Almost sounds like a spitting sound! She has always looked and acted healthy until today. I'm gona try and take her to the vet but I'm sure thats gona be a fiasco. She has never been to one and it's hard enough to get her to come out of her cage as it is. She is cage sour, ( like Barn sour for a horse)! Any suggestions before I try the vet would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and I really appreciate all of you on here sharing your stories and helpful Info. I've learned alot about my boxer on here!

AntJan

Completely Boxer Crazy
Do you think maybe Krissy has a cold? If you look at her nostrils, are they clear, or is there any clear mucous or crusty stuff around it? We used to have a Cockatiel (along with many other parrots), and our Tiel had a cold once... would make funny "cough" noises, but most of the time he was sneezing. Krissy is old! Ours was only 3, then my Dad told us to stop clipping his wings, and sure enough he flew out the front door. :(

Just keep an eye on her. If she looks like she's under the weather (sleeping more than usual, not as playful), you should take her in. Poor little Krissy. Hope she's ok.

niteworm

Boxer Booster
I have a book on cockatiels and it says they can live up to 20 years.
No she doesn't have a runny nose or crust. A week or so ago her nostrils were kinda red. It's weird she only made that noise this morning, haven't heard it sense. Maybe she was just extra cold this morning it was pretty chilly in here. I think I'll start putting a blankie on the sides and top of her cage again, she likes that on cold days. She can only see out the front of the cage but she acts like she is warmer and feels more secure that way.
I'm gona head to the link ya sent scorpio,thanks to ya both! And sorry to hear about your cockatiels. I'm really careful with her since my sister lost 2 of hers that flew out! I plan on keeping krissy for at least another ten years. God willing! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.