Coats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxerrr

Boxer Pal
Hi there,

It's getting colder outside, and I've read that in a colder climate a Boxer should have some sort of coat if they are going to be outside (due to the short fur). Now, Bella won't be left outside for hours upon hours, but from time to time we might go to the park to run around or on a longer walk. This is her first winter (she's just 6 months), so we have got her something similar to this:

http://www.barkavenue.com.au/store/files/Dapper Dog Coat Red.jpg

The problem is she detests the thing. Now I expected that, seeing as she's never had to wear anything like this before, and it would be new. When she gets it on, she'll refuse to walk, and when I encourage her with my voice and some treats she'll walk a little while then just sit down again. Sometimes she'll forget she's got it on, but ultimately she'll figure it out and begin trying to tear it off. Once she gets into this mode we can't stop her. I am reluctant to take it off (so as to reinforce the behaviour) but the last couple of times we've had to... it's either that or carry her home.

Any ideas/thoughts on coats, whether they're really needed and ways to get her to wear it?

Thanks in advance....

Amglory

Boxer Pal
Are they needed? I believe so. Did my Pandora agree? No way. Do not take it off until the tearing at it behavior is stopped. You didn't mention if you put it on to practice in the house. Try that and give treats and praise to help her see it as a good thing.

I bought Panda a small ladies vest for 1/2 the price of a dog coat at the pet store. I knew she wouldn't like it so we practiced in the house. The 1st two times I put it on her she wouldn't even move. Stood stock still with her legs spread and a funny look on her face. Then she tried to bite it off. We just got snow for the 1st time this past weekend. Loved it! She didn't mind wearing the vest but going down the stairs, her back paw got caught and she stumbled. I fixed that with a few stitches.

Persevere! She'll be fine once she sees that she gets to go out and have fun if she has it on.

Last edited:

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
She will probably get used to it. Make sure that it fits well and doesn't bind anywhere.

My Moto has worn a coat since he was a puppy as it's pretty cold here in Manitoba. It's -32 C this morning and he will be definitely wearing a coat, sometimes two. :LOL:

sriley

Completely Boxer Crazy
I haven't tried to put coats/vests on my two pups for two reasons:

1. I haven't been able to find coats big enough for my boys. I found numerous sweaters that I don't think will suffice in the Southwestern Ontario cold. I read somewhere on BW that Old Navy has a decent selection of coats for a reasonable price, so I'll have to investigate.

2. My first Boxer, Buddy, absolutely HATED his coat. Without his jacket on, Buddy would always lead us on our walks and would stay a step or two ahead of us. With his coat on, he would always walk behind us and give us this look like, "You've got to be kidding me! I'm really not impressed with this coat and I'm even less impressed with you guys for making me wear it!" He did not enjoy his walks when his coat was on and he absolutely refused to go potty with his coat on. Walking him with his coat on was a chore for him and us. Even with constant reinforcement and encouragement, Buddy was determined NOT to cooperate when his coat was on. I finally gave up. Buddy always looked forward to his walks and I didn't think it was fair to turn the best part of his day into something that he couldn't enjoy because of a coat. When the temperature got too cold, we either skipped the walk depending on how cold and how wicked the wind was, or we just went for several short walks throughout the day.

I know no two dogs are the same, but knowing how much Buddy detested his coat, I'm a little reluctant to spend the money to outfit my new Boxer babies with coats. I have a sneaky suspicion that they, like Buddy, won't be on board. Nevertheless, I do think a vest or jacket is a good idea if you can get your Boxer to wear one. After Buddy passed away, I gave his coat to my vet who also has a Boxer and she tells me that her boy loves his coat, so there is hope :)

silly24boxer

Super Boxer
All I did to get Gauge to wear is coat was to make it fun. I would chase him around the house with it like a game and put it on him. He would give me a dirty look and refuse to walk like a donkey but I just didn t pay attention to his crazyiness and kept on going. He does not mind it now. He also wears the boots too,

ELubas

Boxer Insane
They get used to them. My girl even now will fuss at the beginning of every winter :) It is like she forgets from year to year that she has a coat. I find when the ball is out and her friends are around she is fine but if we are just standing around then she gets silly and bucks like a bronco :) I like Fido Fleece as they move with the dog and they have a lot of freedom in them

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
At first, my dogs hated their coats. So I tried a closer fitting shirt type thermal dog coat from Orvis. It is awesome! It has a turtle neck, long on the belly to keep that warm and fits beautifully. They are a little pricey, about $50 each, but that included their monograms! LOL They are a polortech fabric, super warm and doesn't seem to bind them. I also use these for 0 deg days for an undercoat and add their old navy vests. Stylin'! They acclimated to these fitted shirt/coats so easily. They are washable and don't seem to bind them up or get in their way of playing.

Oh, and if you really want to show how much of a dedicated dog person you are - they sell human ones the same style and same colors! You can match! LOL

here's the link:
http://www.orvis.com/store/product....3&group_id=10567&cat_id=10568&subcat_id=10569

Last edited:

jjwithers

Boxer Pal
coats...

My kids wouldn't go without them!! If you're having probs finding them big enough, try Dover Saddlery. Most of us crazy horse people put coats on our dogs - and they have lots of styles & sizes!

jj

Status
Not open for further replies.