1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coat Improvments

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by aceowner, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyrus2005

Cyrus2005 Boxer Insane

We used to feed Cyrus Royal Canin. We met some people with boxers at the pet store, and they recommended it and both of their dogs were very soft and shiny. Cyrus didn't do too well on it. His coat was dull, he had bad eye boogers, and didn't seem to like it too much. (PLUS it STINKS!!) I read dogfoodanalysis.com and really got serious about finding some better food for my dog. He now eats Premium Edge Lamb rotated with Wellness Lamb. He LOVES these foods, is very shiny, soft, and no more eye boogers!! I totally recommend looking into something other than RC. PS I checked out your gallery. Your pup is a doll!! :)

2. Cyrus2005

Cyrus2005 Boxer Insane

:LOL: I almost forgot. We also add one heaping spoonful of plain yogurt to his breakfast. This with the better food has considerably cut down on his bad (yeast) ear and terrible gas. :LOL:

3. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

My two go nuts over them, too. However, I do not go nuts after their breath...:eek:

4. ELubas

ELubas Boxer Insane

Mine like to find things when we walk in fields-cow pastures if you get my drift-so sardine breath is fine by me :LOL:

5. jimseabee

jimseabee Completely Boxer Crazy

We feed Dakota raw and If you have to feed kibble I would feed timber wolf. I feed it to him if we are visiting out of town or if we run out of his raw food. Since we have been feeding him raw, we have a lot less gas coming from him. His coat is shiny and he is very healthy.

cons from reviews- Royal Canin-Insufficient meat products, fat fourth on ingredient list (a bloat risk factor in large breed dogs), use of low quality and controversial fillers.

6. KidA

KidA Boxer Pal

try a supplemet with Omega fatty acids or high quality oils

I agree with everyone saying that RC is low quality, it really isn't good.
    As many others here I think, I used to fed my boxer with Boxer RC dry kibble until I did some research and found out the real premium dog foods like TW organics, Canidae, Welleness, Solid Gold etc.

To improve coat, it's necessary to improve what your dog eats, whether you switch to a better food or supplement with good stuff, which bacon grease it's not really ideal, since pork is not really good for dogs, you should better try, as some other people wrote here with fish oils like salmon or sardines, or even as someone else posted here sardines which also are good for calcium (just used the ones without addings like tomatoe); or even canola or flaxseed oil which contains good omega fatty acids (some premium foods also use sunflower oil, but canola, flaxseed or even olive are better).

Also there are other supplements that could improve overall nutrition and not only coat that could be good if you are determined on keep feeding RC. Just look for supplements like missing link plus, Seameal Powder w/ Flaxseed Meal (by Solid Gold), Nature's Logic (which has a full supplement or sardine oil), Sparkle (by Honest Kitchen); this are just a few but there are more out there. I think in Petsmart (where I assume you get your food), it's only available the Missing Link Plus.

7. MyBoyDuke

MyBoyDuke Boxer Pal

Orijen

I have been feeding My boy Duke Orijen since he was 6 months old, since then, his coat is glossy and smooth. He is now 16 months old. When I adopted my deceased father's dog, long hair, (Bernease Mount Dog) and switched him to the Orijen, the improvement in his fur is unbelievable, less sheding glossy and soft.

8. Dazey

Dazey Boxer Buddy

TW Ocean Blue

I feed my 5 month old pup TW Ocean Blue she loves it. Her coat is very shiney and she has allot more energy. I plan to switch her to Dakota Bison
    formula after she finishes this bag.

9. RolenKisses

RolenKisses Boxer Insane

Rolen eats Dakota Bison and absolutely loves it! :LOL:
    I might try the Elk next!

10. caruse

caruse Boxer Insane

Lailas coat is soooo soft and shiney....I feed her Timberwolf and Merrick and once a day she gets Timberwolf salmon oil added to her meal....Barbara

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.