1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coat Improvments

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by aceowner, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aceowner

aceowner Boxer Buddy

I am just wadering if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve a boxer's coat. My pup's coat is not bad right now but I would like to make it a little more shiny. I feed him royal canin large breed puppy right now but I've heard that mixing bacon grease in there food helps. Any other suggestions or things that have worked for anyone in the past???

2. Kirby Kirb

Kirby Kirb Boxer Insane

I don't know about bacon grease, I would not eat that myself, so i could not imagine feeding it to my dog!! Talk about heart clogging! For Kirby all I have ever given him is a raw egg every once in awhile. I have heard of people adding fish oils to there kibble, I am sure someone on here can help you out with that!

3. simmons

simmons Boxer Insane

I think a dogs coat has alot to do with what they are eating. If it's a low quality kibble, then it would effect thier coat.

I would never eat bacon grease so would never feed it to my dogs. It would hurt rather than helping them. Just my opinion ;) You can go to www.dogfoodanalysis.com and get an idea of where Royal Canin sits on the list.

Have you thought about switching kibble??

4. aceowner

aceowner Boxer Buddy

Hahaha...If you would only feed your dog things that you would eat what do you feed them? Cause I know I wouldn't sit down to a meal of dog food. My dad trains huntings dogs and i had heard from some trainers that he knows that the fats and oils in the bacon grease helps make their coat shinny. I had heard that Royal Canin was a really good food and it has the highest protien content I can find. What do you guys feed your dogs??? I'm always looking for things to improve on.

5. simmons

simmons Boxer Insane

Well, I actually don't eat anything fried or greasy.... I just don't have an appetite for greasy or fried foods. I have a sensitive stomach too so if I ate anything like bacon grease or even bacon I would really be feeling it :LOL:

When I was feeding just kibble I would give my dogs a few lightly scrambled or boiled eggs. Maybe 1 or 2 a week. I now feed Solid Gold and homecook so thier coats are very shiny and they actually shed alot less!!!

You can also give your baby a raw egg, I know it's alot better for them (shell and all).

I could be wrong, but the ingredients in Royal Canin did not look at good. Compare those ingredients to Solid Gold or Timberwolf. I believe Royal Canin is a 2 Star quality Dog Food...out of 6 Stars. (I was feeding Timberwolf for a while before Solid Gold.) http://timberwolforganics.com/pet-foods click on one of the flavors of Timberwolf.

The reason I like Timberwolf and Solid Gold is b/c they have a variety of flavor. SO you can rotate flavors each month, this way they don't get bored of the same dog food evry day for the rest of thier life....b/c they do ;)

BTW, how old is your pup?
    I am sure their is an oil you can mix in the kibble that may help thier coat too.

Hopefully someone else has better advice for you :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  6. Samsonian

Samsonian Boxer Buddy

Am I too late to add on to this thread?? I'm new to the forum and still figuring it all out! If not, I was hoping to ask for some advice on this matter: I'm looking for a new kibble for my 6-month puppy, whose coat is not as shiny as it could be and also sheds like crazy! Would Timberwolf be a good option for him? I was also considering Canidae. We've tried Nature's Variety, but he doesn't seem to like the taste of it. Also, he likes to have his food moistened (and sometimes with a little yogurt :) and due to the citric acid in Nature's Variety, I have to serve it dry, of course. Any suggestions?

7. ELubas

ELubas Boxer Insane

I have had good luck with TW Bison. I also add fish oil and VIT C to thier food. I have to say thier coats have never looked better, and my boy in particular is so soft, where as before he did have coat problems. I do think the TW has made a diference, and it is fine for pups though some varieties may have a little too much protein. But my girl has been on the Bison since she was about six months and it really seems to do well for her. I also homecook and use chicken and organ meats and add an egg twice a week. Truth be told I was always trying different kibble before but we have stuck with TW for a long time now and they still gobble it up. Good luck

8. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

Royal Canin is not that great of food. Timberwolf as suggested above it awesome. You can always throw in a can of sardines or mackrel in water once a week - that gives them their omega 3's naturally. I feed my dogs raw and their coats have never been shinier!

9. kayboxer

kayboxer Boxer Insane

I fed Timberwolf (am now trying RAW). I fed the Ocean Blue to my almost 5 mo. old, low protein content and was going to try the Dakota Bison. I then changed my mind and had ordered two bags of Taste of the Wild dog food. It is fairly new and is on the 6 star rating list of the foodanalysis website.

10. ELubas

ELubas Boxer Insane

You know the canned sardines are a great idea and I always forget to buy them :) My pups say, "Thanks" for reminding me as they go nuts over them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.