Clyde chews up any bed in kennel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bxrlvr in KC

Boxer Booster
Any type of bed or bedding that I put in Clyde's kennel get destroyed the first day he has it. I've tried lots of chew toys. I've tried the Bitter Apple. Nothing helps. I'm so frustrated! Hubby and I are gone for several hours a day and I can quite trust Clyde to be left out that long. Right now he has an old Army blanket in with him and it gets smaller every day. I'm afraid he will develop arthritis without cushioning. I thought of using one of those cot-type beds, (like at http://www.ozemail.com.au/~muttley1/hessian.htm ) but Hubby is afraid Clyde might get caught between the bed and side of crate. He does have a good point. We don't have chewing problems outside of the kennel.

Any advice???? TIA!

------------------
Michelle

Mom to:
Clyde - Flashy fawn male, natural ears, 3/28/98
Cricket - Beautiful rescued black mutt, 1/98

[This message has been edited by Bxrlvr in KC (edited 07-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Bxrlvr in KC (edited 07-21-2000).]

Gillian D

Boxer Buddy
what about a knuckle bone from the butchers?... they chew sometimes when they are bored.. so maybe a nice real bone will occupy the Clydster!

------------------
Cooper:male flashy fawn- thinks he is Jaques Cousteau
MacGregor:male, Black masked Brindle- Mama's suckie Boy
Tristan:male Flashy Brindle... in Heaven - 28/02/96 cancer

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
I had the same problem with Markus. I just kept replacing the blankets. He is probably chewing out of boredom. Is is possible to give him more freedom? Most boxers, once they reach 2 yrs old are mature enough to have more freedom. Could you possibly shut him in the kitchen or another dog proof room. A room with a window is good, as boxers just love to look out the window and watch the world go by. If he had a little more freedom you could give him toys like a treat filled Buster Ball or a stuffed Kong. If you do decide to give him more freedom, make sure that don't give him the run of the house all of a sudden. Most dogs can't handle all the freedom all at once. Gradually increase his space, one room at a time.

Good luck with Clyde.

------------------
Jan
Markus, dark brindle
neutered male, 6 yrs old

Krikkit

Boxer Insane
Hi Michelle, we have 6 of those beds
smile.gif
Actually nearly everyone I know with dogs here does. They are great. A friend of ours has a Dobermann who has a similar attitude as Clyde towards her beddding and she manages to wreck the covers of them. My friend now gets a very heavy duty canvas cover made up - her girl eventually gets through it - but it does take a while. I don't think I'd be comfortable with one in a crate for the reasons you mentioned, but for generally lazing around in, the beds are great
smile.gif

Harley Mom

Boxer Buddy
I had a similar problem with Harley and that was when we decided to try him without the crate and he is a completely new dog. Like Jan said, boxers like to look out the window. I gate Harley into part of the house and he is wonderful. Nothing chewed, nothing scratched and he is not as wild when we get home because he has had room to move around during the day. You might want to try getting your baby out of the crate.

Melissa
smile.gif

------------------
Harley: Flashy Brindle Boy, Born 07/04/97

Bxrlvr in KC

Boxer Booster
Thanks for all the great advice. I've tried wonderful toys and treats in the crate as you suggested, Gillian, and it might help when we first leave, but being gone for so long, it doesn't last long-term.

We are going to take your advice, Jan and Melissa, and try to give him more freedom. I know he'll be on the couch when we're at work (normally a no-no) cuz this is the only way for him to see out the window, but I guess I can live with that. I also will feel better about having Cricket out, too. She can handle it, but it was either both in or both out.

The plan is to start with leaving them alone for short periods of time and gradually getting them used to all day. They can be restricted to our family room very easily (old house, lots of doors). As usual, there will be lots of chew toys!!

Krikkit -- Can you recommend a brand of the cot-type beds? We're going to order a couple. I don't think we'll have a problem with chewing on them outside the crate, so probably don't need the heavy-duty ones. Thanks!

Thanks again and I'll keep everyone posted.

------------------
Michelle

Mom to:

As far as bedding in the crate you shouldnt really need any. A blanket does not make it that much more comfortable anyways. Plus you dont want to risk them eating the bedding and getting sick. I would remove the bedding until he is older. Bru and Amaya get a chew toy like a kong in their kennel in case they get the chewies.

------------------
Brutus & Amayas Mom
Brutus 9/23/99 Flashy Fawn
Amaya 3/22/00 Flashy Brindle

Krikkit

Boxer Insane
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bxrlvr in KC:
Krikkit -- Can you recommend a brand of the cot-type beds? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure what you guys have available there. We can get the beds nearly everywhere here in all different sytles. The main thing is to make sure that the type you buy will go with a standard hessian bag or other type of readily available cover
smile.gif

------------------
Sharon
Bella (Red&White 03.07.94) Layla (Brindle&White - 03.12.94) Ruben & Amy (Red&White littermates 15.09.98) Bo, Tess and Rebel in our hearts.
AgilityBoxer.Com

T

Tina-SCBR-NY

You want to be careful if your dog is eating the bedding as I have heard numerous stories of this happening and the dog having to go for emergency surgery because there is too much blanket/cloth in the dogs stomach to pass. It actually happened recently in the rescue I work with, one of our foster dogs ate it's bedding over a few days and had to have the emergency surgery, he almost didn't make it. Approximate cost for this is $600-800.
If the dog is a chewer you are better off with a heavy duty rubber mat that they can't chew. Please be careful.

------------------
Proud momma of 3 boxer babies and 1 foster at all times:
Dallas, F, Brindle 3/21/95
Dakota, M, Fawn 7/10/99
Missy, F, Brindle 8/7/99
And 1 Second Chance Foster dog
www.secondchanceboxer.com

Bxrlvr in KC

Boxer Booster
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tina-SCBR-NY:
You want to be careful if your dog is eating the bedding as I have heard numerous stories of this happening and the dog having to go for emergency surgery because there is too much blanket/cloth in the dogs stomach to pass.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've worried about this! Another reason why I want to get him out of his kennel during the day. That is the only time we have chewing problems. Even as a puppy, he never chewed things.

Are these rubber mats dog-specific, or would an industrial rubber mat work? (I work for an industrial supply company.)

Thanks!

------------------
Michelle

Mom to:

Status
Not open for further replies.