1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clarification about kibble and raw

Discussion in 'RAW Feeding' started by Tango's Mama, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tango's Mama

Tango's Mama Super Boxer

I've done a search and read what I could find about mixing raw and kibble togather. I had bought Tango some of the natures variety frozen raw medallions and had been giving him 2 with a cup of kibble morning and night. He seems fine and is eating well. What I didnt know was not to do that!! I'm sure there is a reason for it but thus far I didnt find the thread explaning it to me. I tried to give him the raw pattie alone and he would not eat it, but with his canidae dry he ate it all and seemed to really enjoy it. I'm not able to do the total raw diet since he is allergic to beef and around here you cant even buy lamb in the store for yourself. Plus like i said he dont seem to want to eat anything thats not cooked lol. He also hates turkey and chicken, he wont even touch a raw bone either. I have a weird pup i beleive! But enough rambling it may be that he is so spoiled is all and not really that he wont eat it. Might be that mom didnt make him eat it *blush* But all in all is there a reason not to give him some raw lamb in with his kibble?

2. boxer

boxer Boxer Insane

If it is just a small amount of lamb, I don't think it will do him any harm. I often wondered myself why kibble and raw should not be mixed - and it seems the answer is that the kibble may slow down the digestion of the raw food, thus leaving the dog more vulnerable to bacteria.

Seems to make a certain amount of sense - dogs are able to cope with raw food, and even rather "ripe" raw foods, because they have such a short digestive tract and strong digestive acids that are designed for exactly that process. Raw meat and bones are digested in around 4-5 hours. Kibble, conversely, is far more difficult for dogs to digest, courtesy of its high grain content - and that process takes around 11-14 hours (!). Sooo - if you mix the two, that may slow down the digestion of the raw food and in consequence nulify the dog's natural defence against bacteria (ie. speed of digestion).

3. lafsalot

lafsalot Boxer Insane

Kibble and raw are digested differently and should not be fed together at any one meal. Have you tried just warming the meat a little? ~ Cathy

4. Tango's Mama

Tango's Mama Super Boxer

Thanks Debbie :) That does make sense, Maybe now that he has had it and ate it ok I could give him the raw in the morning and the kibble at night? That way the kibble will keep his tummy full longer lol. Thanks for your answer!!

lafsalot-He used to eat boiled chicken over his kibble, hamburger and other things but he started spitting his kibble out after sucking off the good stuff lol so I bought this NB lamb roll and grated it over his food that way he had to actually eat it all to get all the meat in there since it was grated up fine. I had been wanting to try the raw diet but he wouldnt eat it alone so hence mixing in the kibble thinking he might do ok. Now that I know thats not the best idea Im going to see if he will eat his raw in the am then maybe some kibble in the pm until I decide the best course for him. He will eat good for a few months then we are back to him trying to starve himself and eating as tiny amount as possible. I was hoping this might keep him eating since he didnt know exactly what to expect at mealtimes lol. I know I need to "make" him eat what I set out and if he dont put it away but I guess Im just a bad mommy :( I just cant deal with the puking on the floor and his sad eyes so I give in and let him eat what he wants from the good choices i provide and we all do well in the end lol

Thanks for both your replies :)

5. boxer

boxer Boxer Insane

Yep, raw for one meal and kibble for the next should be fine.

Unless you feed the two meals very close to 12 hours apart, I'd feed the kibble one ahead of the longest stretch of time to the next meal since it takes the longest to digest. So if, for example, you were feeding at 8am and again at 6pm, I'd make the 6pm meal the kibble one.

6. Tango's Mama

Tango's Mama Super Boxer

Thats exactly what I was going to do. Since he is prone to wake up with no food in his tummy then feel sick over it. I thought since the kibble takes longer to digest that might keep him "fuller" over night than the raw would. I just need to rearrange his feeding times so that he eats later in the evening. Thanks again for your advice. I think this might work for him ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.