1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chew Toys

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by Curt Jr, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curt Jr

Curt Jr Boxer Buddy

What are some of the best chew toys for boxers? I have heard nylabones, rawhides, etc. but I also heard good and bad on all of them also. Max is almost 10 weeks old and he love his rope but I want to get him something else.

2. RoxiesEcho

RoxiesEcho Boxer Insane

I don't give my dogs any rawhide or nylabones. If you don't buy the proper rawhide it is very dangerous so I decided a long time ago to just not bother with it. I gave Bella a nylabone once when she was younger and she completely ate it in no time flat - again, a dangerous thing! A big raw soup bone would be good for Max, just make sure it's never been cooked or bleached & that you supervise him. Kongs are the best! They come in lots of sizes and are virtually indestructible!

3. Lyncca

Lyncca Boxer Booster

We love the tennis ball looking toys. They are very durable and take at least a week for ty to rip the squeaky out. LOL

We also use Kong toys of course. Ty LOVES his Kong frisbee. It's killing him we won't let him play catch since he just got neutered... (yes, I have a frisbee dog!)

Be careful with rawhides. I will let mine have the small ones that he will devour in minutes, but the big ones I have to take away before they are small enough for him to try to swallow. I pulled one out of his throat the other day that was about 2" x 6"! Scared me to death! No more for him!

He also loves all of his ropes and anything that squeaks. My brother got one of those chuck-it thingies for his boxer and he loves that as well.

4. lhsdavis

lhsdavis Boxer Booster

mine love the cuz's and the orbec(sp?) balls...one looks like a soccar ball...and both are pretty durable

5. lhsdavis

lhsdavis Boxer Booster

And to add unless its a rolled rawhide chew, I dont give them any..the flat ones can make them choke. Also they love pig ears, but mine has choked on one of those also...unless its the ones in strips.

6. TossBranAbi

TossBranAbi Boxer Insane

Mine do not get any rawhides of any sort. Not only are they a choking hazard, they are processed with toxic chemicals and they are not digestible, just lay in the gut and breed bacteria.

Around here, they have Kongs to chew on, the plastic nylabones (not the edible ones) and a few cuz balls. They Only thing that really gets chewed on are the nylabones. They see the kongs as food dispensers and the cuz just gets carried around and squeeked. Dozer did chew the feet off of one of the cuzs but hasn't bothered any other ones.

They have tennis balls to play with but don't actually chew on them. They mostly get raw marrow bones to chomp on though. I have a local butcher/slaughterhouse that I can get as many bones as I want for free. They are great for their teeth, safe and the pups love them.

7. Curt Jr

Curt Jr Boxer Buddy

The marrow bones sounds like a good idea. Any curtain type you use?

8. billbgh

billbgh Completely Boxer Crazy

We have some Bad Cuz toys(awesome) and a bone shaped toy that's canvas(terrific), we have some plush(specifically made for dogs, we get them at Moochie and Co. because they make noise and are the only plush toys Rocky can't destroy-well not for several months). I personally don't let my pups have ropes until they learn to play with other toys, because if they start eating the strings, it could cause problems with the bowels. BTW, Kongs are great too.

Erin
    Apollo & Rocky's mom

9. cantfindlog

cantfindlog Completely Boxer Crazy

Jolly balls are great. Molly has been dragging one around for 6 years and it is in one piece yet. You can find those at many different retailers and come in different sizes.

10. Chiefsmom

Chiefsmom Boxer Insane

Mine are big fans of a plain ol' tennis ball or Kongs! Oh yep... and the Cuz (although... they don't last too long as their feet get chewed off :LOL: )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.