1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chew-things for dog on an allergy diet?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Caney Creek, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

Except my dog IS allergic to Venison and can go with deer antlers without issue. He's had 3 of them thus far and no problems with him whatsoever.

2. BxrMommieNAZ

Well if you hunt or know someone who does or just live in a woodsy area you can use those instead of buying them. My best friend in Ohio her husband hunts (during hunting season of course) and is going to send me the antlers of the deers he hunts next year and I'm just going to pay the shipping. She said they normally throw them away so she's happy to send them to me. Hunting season is over now obviously but deers do loose them naturally yearly so if you live in an area that is deer populated you can go looking and swipe the antlers. For folks in hunting parts of the country they can definitely never have to shop for them. I unfortunately don't live in a huge hunting area, nor do I nor my husband hunt ourselves so until next October I'm stuck buying them.

I will also say, I had it approved by my dog's allergy vet as well as a nutritionist that it was okay to give him the antlers even though he's allergic to Venison. I was skeptical but figured it was worth a shot, and low and behold they were right. He's had a few and no rashes, no whelts, no itching, no runs, no vomiting. And he LOVES them. Obvoisly all are different, but he has not reacted negatively to the antlers despite being allergic to deer.

3. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Then you have a very atypical allergy sufferer ;) Have you ever proven the allergy by feeding him just venison meat (i.e. not in kibble, which by definition has to have other things in it besides venison)? Having queried that, it is technically possible for dogs to be allergic to the highly processed form of foods, and not when they're in natural form (due to the changes to proteins induced by cooking). That is one reason that many raw feeders can give their dogs meats they couldn't when feeding kibble. But even that usually applies only in mild allergy cases.

4. BxrMommieNAZ

I've given him fresh venison, only to have him break out in welts same as he does to beef (was later told by the allergist that Venison and beef are extremely similar and it's very common if they're allergic to one they're allergic to the other. Don't eat Venison myself so didn't know that), without anything else in his diet changing yes. He can however eat Venison kibble (Natural Balance anyway), but not fresh Venison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.