1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chew-things for dog on an allergy diet?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Caney Creek, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Caney has been on an food allergy trial diet (Natural Balance Duck & Potato) for about a month now and I can tell she's really missing her marrow bones which used to be a regular treat for her. Besides the fact that she keeps finding old ones hidden all over the place (I could have SWORN I picked them all up :rolleyes:), last week while I was at work she decided to chew the entire spine off of a book that was on the coffee table, plus a few other small things. :mad: She hasn't done this in a LONG time.... So, is there any type of Nylabone that would be OK for her to have during this allergy trial? Any other suggestions that would fit in with the Duck & Potato theme? :)

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

I think you would need to go with man-made non-edible chew items, such as nylabones and kongs. The problem with real bones in this situation is that they would indeed muck up your allergy trial. That is, the only bones she could have are duck bones - and those would be consumed quickly rather than provide hours of chewing (not that there is anything wrong with her consuming duck bones - but I think that is not the recreational purpose you wanted the bones for). So if it's for hours of chewing, then I'm afraid in this case real bones aren't going to be suitable for the duration of the trial (at least, not until you get to the point of testing food items other than duck/potato, at which point you can test things like beef or lamb with bones from those animals).

3. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Thanks Gmacleod. I'll go out and look for a Nylabone for her. She usually isn't that interested in plastic chew-things (unless of course they smell like mom or dad, LOL) but hopefully she'll make an exception since she has been deprived of her other bones. Would a flavored Nylabone mess up her allergy trial?

4. johann

johann Boxer Insane

Johann has a "rhino bone" made by Nylabone that he loves. Its more rubbery than plastic (he hates his regular nylabone). He gnaws on it pretty religiously at night.
    Nylabone » Products » Interactive » Rhino® » Bone

His has held up really well, I just noticed that its not recommended for strong chewers though. I'd worry that a flavored bone would have some ingredient that would mess up the allergy trial.

5. gmacleod

Yes, I suspect a flavoured one is best avoided. Unless they make duck-flavoured ones, and you can ascertain that the flavouring is purely duck... ;)

A "chicken" flavoured nylabone is presumably flavoured with actual chicken... and a "beef" flavoured one with beef, etc. Which would defeat the purpose of feeding only duck ;) Or alternatively (and you'd need to check the packaging) they're actually flavoured by artificial chemicals instead - but that could also be problematic. Best bet, I think, is to suffer through the allergy trial period in a "pure" state ;) Then at least you can afterward be sure of your results and not have to do it over again.

If the nylabone is really not a hit with her, then you could consider a kong and stuff it with (boringly, but necessarily!) bits of her kibble. Even that won't be easy, as you can't include other stuff to make it stick - but possibly mushing up the kibble with some water, stuffing the kong with the resultant mess, then freezing it could work.

6. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

What about deer antlers? There isn't much to them and my allergy boy has done GREAT with them.

7. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Thanks, I might try that. Caney's not what I would call a strong chewer, she never destroys toys and is kinda picky about what she chews on... her only requirements are that is smells like food or mom... hence the reason all of MY things are taking the brunt of her boredom these days =/ Maybe if I stashed the bone in my purse for a few days before giving it to her... ;)

I figured as much. Earlier this week I was at PetSmart looking at Nylabones, and all of the "regular" nylabones are labeled "original flavor", and I never did figure out WHAT the flavor was, but the word "flavor" was the reason I ended up passing on all of them.

Yes, I saw this mentioned in another thread and thought, what a great idea! But, couldn't it potentially mess up her allergy trial since she's strictly on duck and potato right now? She has had venison before, and although I highly doubt she's allergic to it, I still don't want to do anything that might interfere with the trial. She started the D&P diet on the first of January, and from what I've read she needs to be on this food strictly for 12 weeks before we start introducing new ingredients. But I definitely want to try the deer antlers once we're done with all this.

Where do you get yours? Are they sold in stores?

8. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

But the antlers aren't venison. They don't have meat on them and never have. They're simply made of calcium and minerals. No meat, no hair, nothing to do with a deer whatsoever really.

I buy mine on Amazon, I've used the Antlerz brand and Buckarooz and the Buckarooz IMO was a MUCH better deal. It's 12 inches and was $8 which wasn't too bad. I will say I have to take them away after an hour or so otherwise both of mine would have it GONE within a few hours and wouldn't stop until it was gone, but my girl's teeth were starting to look a bit...well icky, and a couple of days chewing on the antlers and her teeth may be cleaner than mine LoL, no more smelly breathe for her, and she LOVES to chew on them (and she's never been a huge chewer), my boy loves them too but he'll chew on almost anything he's allowed to.

But yeah they're just calcium and minerals, no meat or anything protein related on them so I don't think it would mess up her allergy trial at all.

9. gmacleod

Yes, it would mess up the allergy trial. That is, you could never be certain that - if she continues to have any allergy symptoms - what is causing them. An elimination trial means *nothing* else except the singular food you're trialing, then other items one-by-one in a controlled manner to test reactions.

Deer antlers are NOT "just calcium and other minerals" - except to the degree you can apply that to anything LOL. In fact, they are about 40-80% protein (depending on the time of year) - not of the highly digestible kind, but protein nonetheless. IF your dog is allergic to venison, it will almost certainly be equally allergic to antlers (just as it would be to chicken bones, if allergic to chicken). LOL - you cannot just pick and choose body parts and say the allergy only applies to some of them. If that's the case, the more likely answer is that the dog isn't allergic at all.

10. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Thanks. I'll definitely wait until this allergy trial is over before trying them out. But still can't wait to try them :) I can only imagine BF's reaction when I tell him I'm going to BUY deer antlers... LOL :LOL:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.