1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Food/hints??

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Mom2Leah, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mom2Leah

Mom2Leah Boxer Buddy

We have just picked up our new baby last night. He is extreamly skinny, much thinner that his pic. He has been tested for worms, neg. He was being fed Science Diet and we are putting him on Candiae today. My question is... are there any concerns with changing to a high quality food. Is there a right way to do it or do I jump right in. Also, are there supplements or anything I should consider in order to help put some meat on his poor bones. He is 12 months old and I can see his ribs and hip bones at all times and his back bone is prominate when he lays down, I can count the vertibre. Any advise will be greatly appreciated as I am off to the feed store after work.

2. Net45582

Net45582 Banned

Although some dogs can change food cold turkey,the general rule of thumb is to mix 25%new with 75% old and gradually increase the new. You may want to add raw meat with the kibble for added nutrition. Good luck! Canidae is a very good choice.

3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

If you have any of the Science Diet that he was eating I would switch him over gradually. If you don't I would just switch him cold turkey. He will may have the diarrhea for a couple of days, but he should adjust quite quickly.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.