1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cedar shavings and allergies?

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by MSBoxer, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSBoxer

MSBoxer Boxer Buddy

Are boxers allergic to cedar shavings? Addy likes to sun outside in the warm time of day, and we have her a little house outside. Now that its getting a little cooler (In Mississippi, 55 degrees is cold!) we would like to have her some bedding in the house just in case she wants to get in there. She stays inside the majority of the day....what I was wondering was, if she can't have the cedar...what is a good bedding? Just put a pillow bed in there?

2. Mollie_T

Mollie_T Banned

I think I heard pine shavings are good for bedding... I'm not really sure since I've always been told boxer's are not outside dogs I've never had to explore other options... Sorry :(

3. MeganMK

MeganMK Completely Boxer Crazy

I've heard that cedar shavings are bad, that the oils in the shavings can affect metabolism and liver function, and possibly induce cancer or precancerous lesions, especially in the liver. The shavings can also cause allergic reactions or asthma. Pine is better, and probably the best yet is a shredded paper filler. Its really soft and fluffly, made from paper pulp I believe. You can get it at Petco and Petsmart. Its all recycled and safe for your baby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.