Cataracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammynDqtz

Boxer Insane
The other week I noticed my Bichon Frises eyes were a bit foggy looking, so today she was taken to the vet and he told me she has cataracts in both of her eyes. She cannot see very much now. He gave me the name of a canine eye doctor in the area, whom I will call tomorrow. He said the surgery would be $800.00 per eyeball. That is a big chunk of money for me, but believe me I will spend it for her if I need to. Does that price sound about right?? Has any of yall had a dog with cataracts? Any words of wisdom? My poor little dog, I feel so bad for her!

Luvnmyboxer

Boxer Insane
Sounds similar to what our 13yr old mix had last year. He was fine one day and the next his left eye was all foggy looking. He kept scratching at it and rolling around on it. Ended up having a large mass of what looked almost like blood on it, vet said he had no sight in that eye and recommended at his age just to have the eye removed. He thought this was similar to a tumor though and said it would either burst or spread to the other eye. He ended up taking out the left eye and now he is fine. He no longer runs into stuff and seems to get along well. Luckily he is a pretty shaggy hairy guy and you cant even really tell it's missing. He did great with the surgery and seems to be 100% better. Hopefully you'll find out some more news on your pup and that surgery will be able to fix and be able to maintain it's sight.

SuzAllen

Banned
Surgery

About 7 years ago I had my Boston Terriors cataracts removed and it was $3,000 plus the work-up from his regular vet. So $1,600 sounds great to me. It seems everything in CA is more expensive. I would just make sure the price includes all follow up visits, as there are many.

We really debated about doing the surgery for him as he was 11 at the time. I was so happy that we did, he was back to his old self after the surgery. I hadn't realized how not being able to see had changed his personality, he was depressed and grumpy, it had happened over such a long period of time that I just thought he was getting old. The change overnight was just amazing. We were very happy that we gave him another 3 1/2 good years.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.