Cat Not Using Litterbox Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy Lyn

Super Boxer
Hi all. You've all been very helpful to me with tons of Boxer advice and I'm hoping that you may be able to help my mother with some cat advice.

Her cat, Zhadie, is about seven years old now. On and off since she was a kitten she has at times refused to use the litterbox to poop in. She will pee in it, but will not poop. There is another cat in the house, male, they are brother and sister.

My mom has tried absolutely everything she has read in terms of fixing the problem. She's tried putting foil in the spots in which Zhadie tries to go in, puts the litterbox in the spots she tries to go in, she's given her her own litterbox, cleans all the litterboxes twice a day, puts more litter in, less litter in, on and on and on. Nothing seems to work and she's getting a bit frustrated.

Does anyone have any tricks, tips or words of wisdom for her?

Boo

Completely Boxer Crazy
All my cats have always been very litterbox friendly (thank goodness).

Has she ever tried a covered litter tray? Perhaps Zhadie feels too exposed? Some animals feel vulnerable while they are eliminating.

The other thing is that perhaps the cat can detect an odour that is not perceptible to human senses. So maybe she can still smell where she's been before even if it's been cleaned thoroughly and you can't smell anything. There are specific cleaning products designed to deal with this.

Has the vet had any suggestions?

Aimee

Boxer Insane
We went through this with our two males. Unfortunantly for us ours would poop in the box but not pee :mad: They had always used the same litterbox so the final thing that worked for us was throwing out the old litterbox and getting them 2 seperate covered litterboxes and placing them in very private areas of the house (basement, and mud room). In almost 3 months we have had no problems. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

YourFriendDeb

Completely Boxer Crazy
We used to have this problem with our cats too. They'd do just fine, then one day refuse to use the litterbox. Turns out that if you have a plastic litterbox (and most are) after a while, the plastic starts to absorb the "smell" of the dirty litter. So even if you have clean litter IN it, it will smell dirty to your cat. Your only choice is to get a new litterbox every year or so. Worked for us!

Also, if you're using the clumping cat litter, there's a chance they could have injested some, and it creates a blockage in their intestines that could make it hard for them to eliminate, therefore they associate the pain of that with the litterbox and avoid it.

Good luck to you!

Ashley.S.

Boxer Buddy
The same thing happened with my cat when she was a bit younger then now, she was great until on day she decided to not use it and go infront of the litter box, but what I did after was every time she would go poo infront of it I would pick it up and put it into the litter box then, I put her into the litter box so she would smell it, and know that she had to go in there, and soon enough she went in it!

Jasmine>>>Himalayan, white and peach queenicon angelicon

susan fulcher

Super Boxer
cats are clean animals and when others use their box they don't want to use it ,there is a Bach flower remedy you can use it's Crabapple.Put 2drops in the water and in the food and it can be misted in the air(2 drops in a small mister bottle) It should be taken 4 times a day more times is good too. BFR's are essences from flowers,they are harmless and if the other cat drinks the water or eats the food it won't affect it unless the have a cleanliness problem.Also you can add rescue remedy (4 drops) for sress amongst the cats,if any. There are othe rremedies for other problems but I would need more detail.

Lisa M

Completely Boxer Crazy
Our cat is having a similar problem, just within the last week she has been peeing on our bed. The first time, I figured she was just trying to tell us "Hey, keep my litter box cleaner guys!" Then we cleaned the box and have been really on top of it, but she has gone four times on our bed. I have been keeping her in the masterbath where her box is until I can get to the vet over the weekend. I feel so bad about it, but I don't want to yell at her and I know if I find another wet spot on my bed I will be so smashicon smashicon smashicon :mad: :mad: :mad: !

Her litter box is a plastic one and it is about a year old, so we'll try replacing that. She has had similar problems when we first took her in (she was a stray) and I assume that is why whoever owned her before kicked her out because she is a really good and loving kitty except for that one little habit of peeing all over the place. :rolleyes: She's the only cat so no one else is using her box.

Aimee

Boxer Insane
Lisa M -

I don't want to alarm you but my sisters cat began that same behavior of peeing on her bed when she started having kidney failure. She was young, maybe 5 years old at the time and my sister thought it was an attitude problem at first until the vet determined it was her kidneys. We'll cross paws here for you this is just behavorial but please let us know what the vet says!!!

Lisa M

Completely Boxer Crazy
Thanks for the input, I've made the apt. to drop her off in the morning the vet says it might be a UTI, but they have to do tests. I hate leaving them there :( but hopefully she'll be able to get better and won't have to stay in the bathroom any longer!

Aimee

Boxer Insane
My sisters cats had problems with UTI's for a long time and although she lost Emily to kidney failure the others have done EXCELLENT without any UTI's since her vet put them all on a special Hill's prescription food especially for UTI's. None of her cats have had them in years but she won't take them off the food because it works ;) Good luck at the vets and please let me know how it goes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.