1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cat going outside the box

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Mega's Mom, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mega's Mom

Mega's Mom Boxer Insane

My niece called me in an almost panic tonite. Her cat, Miles, consistently pees outside of his box. He's been checked for UTIs but she thinks it's behavioral, spitefulness. I'm not sure I'm buying that. Any suggestions? I'm trying to keep him in her home - it sounds like she's ready to give up. :(

2. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

When I moved out of my parent's house a few years ago, my kitty, Boo, had to stay behind because my BF is allergic to him. :( Months after I moved out, Boo began urinating in an upstairs closet in my parent's house... where some of my clothes were left. I wouldn't say it was out of spite... probably more due to depression/anxiety. :( Boo was very bonded to me and I still feel bad that I had to leave him.

When he was urinating in the house, my mother was also about to give up on him. She was completely fed up with "that cat." Not long after that Boo got sick and my mom had to take care of him (I think he was scratched in a cat fight -- he is allowed outdoors -- and the scratch got infected). Anyways, after that it was like the two of them had bonded, my mom began playing with him more regularly and enjoying his company, and Boo began seeking her out for attention and stopped urinating in the house.

If ALL health issues have been ruled out, your niece's kitty could be urinating in the house for the same reason that mine did. If he hasn't suffered a loss recently, could it be that perhaps he's just getting less attention lately? I understand that his behavior may be making it hard for your niece to see him as anything but "that darned cat" as she's no doubt frustrated by him ruining her house... and that in turn isn't helping the situation.

It might just be as simple as giving Miles a little more attention, at least once a day at a regular time. My mom and Boo now play a game for breakfast every morning -- "catch/chase the kibble" -- where she tosses his food to him one piece at a time and he gets to "hunt" it down. It gives them time to bond/interact and it's good exercise for him too. :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  3. nalabear

nalabear Super Boxer

We had a cat that would pee outside the box if it wasn't cleaned at least daily and or if it had been over a month since we sanitized the box and put all new litter in it. We always knew when it was time :D

The box also may not be large enough for the cat....just a thought :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  4. prittiegirl

prittiegirl Super Boxer

Box size??

Cats can be really picky. Mine hates a small box. I have read that cats need a box that is at least 1.5 times their length. I got her a HUGE box, and have had no accidents in 7 months except for yesterday when she saw a smaller box and decided to pee beside it for no reason - picky picky!

Worth a try with a big box I think!

5. johann

johann Boxer Insane

Box size, cleanliness, and type of litter can all cause this.

Is he a male cat? Fixed?

6. Mega's Mom

Mega's Mom Boxer Insane

Thanks, guys!! I gave my niece all of your suggestions. Since then I've been getting progress reports and it looks promising. She is giving Miles more attention, started with a brand new litter box and is cleaning it twice a day. It's working. Good boy, Miles! appicon

7. johann

johann Boxer Insane

Good news! Some cats are super picky about the cleanliness of the litter (our kitty is the same way). Glad he is improving qnd that she didn't give up on him. :)

8. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Great news! :) GOOD kitty Miles appicon Keep it up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.