1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cat fight!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by rb420, Jun 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rb420

rb420 Boxer Pal

Hello all!! I am new to the board and this is my first post. I recently got a boxer pup for my b-day. The dog (Dempsey) is now about 12 weeks old. I have begun to teach him to sit and now working on stay! He is a great dog and lots of fun. But now to the problem at hand:
    We also have a cat. The cat is an inside outside cat, which is not going to change. Dempsey wants nothing more then to play with the cat. The cat wants nothing do to with Dempsey. Every time the Dempsey goes near the cat the cat's ears stand up, he hisses, growls, and then swats at the dog. He has hit the dog once or twice on the nose, but never drew blood or anything.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get these two wonderful:rolleyes: animals to get along.

Thanks in advance!!

RB420

2. Boo

Boo Completely Boxer Crazy

I would just make sure that the cat can always get away. My experience has always been that if the cat can run, it will, if it can't it will attack. You don't want Dempsey losing an eye. Basil hated Jasper to start with, but we didn't force them together. Now they are great friends, they sleep together and play together too. Jasper is a real pain in the butt. When Basil has had enough, he just jumps up somewhere high where the dog can't get him.

3. Eddie's  mom

Eddie's mom Guest

We also had a cat when we brought our Eddie home, and like you, Eddie wanted to play, the cat did not. All I can say is that (as said already) make sure the cat has a place to go, to be his space. And that in our case, Eddie realized (from lots of swats from the cat) that the cat did not want to play. Eddie 53 Lbs is actually afraid of the cat I think LOL. They still do not play and probably never will but they do tolerate each other, they can actually both lay on the couch at the same time just at separate ends.

4. Lava Linda

Lava Linda Completely Boxer Crazy

Unless you're really worried about the cat injuring the pup, I'd let them work it out, with some guidance from you.

(To digress for a moment, I remember bringing home Tonka as a 10 week old puppy. He innocently trundled under the car to see what that furry yellow-eyed creature was, and the cat nailed him in the nose without warning. Tonka yipped, and yanked his head upwards.....right into the differential of the car. He squealed bloody murder, and ran out of sight. Poor baby!)

I didn't face your situation with my boxers - I introduced 1 year old Rover (cat) to both 5 year old boxers. I spent a lot of time with one dog and the cat, petting them and switching hands to mix their scents, and lavishing attention on both of them. Within a month or two, all three were best friends, sharing their doggie bed. If the cat's not afraid, you've already got a good start.
    I was careful to avoid scolding any of them, and praised the heck out of them initially, whenever they would keep from trembling and drooling with excitement, lunging, scratching, etc.

I hope it works out for you, because it's all kinds of fun watching them interact. Rover likes to perch on a chair, and whack the dogs in the butt when they walk by. The other day, as I wrote in another post, Rover grabbed Gilroy's entire head in all four paws, and bit his eye in a playful way, holding his position for several seconds. Gilroy just stood there, looking at me with his one open eye, seeming to say, "Can you BELIEVE I'M LETTING HIM DO THIS?!?!" :rolleyes: When Rover let go, Gilroy licked him all over, tail goin' a mile a minute.

5. BoxerMomof1

BoxerMomof1 Boxer Booster

Five cats and 8 month old puppy

:) I have a 8 month old boxer pup and five cats and katrina thinks they are to catch and play with and gets a little ruff. If any one has any suggestions please let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.