Casper's tail is sore again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lola's mum

Boxer Insane
My poor boy :(
The tip of his tail is sore again. it was obviously not docked properly in the first place as every now & then it is so sore and red.
I have been putting savlon on it then taking him out for a walk so he doesn't lick it off, not sure what else to do. It's bothering him as he tries to lick it sometimes too.

Any sugesstions, do you think I'll have to have him re-docked? :(

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
Lily's tail looked nasty for a long time. It didn't truly heal or grow hair til she was about 1 1/2.

What does her's look like? Is it open and bleeding or just scabby and a little raw looking?

claresmom

Boxer Booster
Clare had the same problem, on the underside of her tail. As if she would rub it raw on the sidewalk or something.

She is 2-1/2 now and I think it finally stopped acting up about 6-8 months ago!

Lola's mum

Boxer Insane
It looks vert raw like it's been rubbing on the floor which is possible as his tail is docked quite long :(
It's looking better with putting the cream on it, it's just a pain having to take him out everytime I put some on.

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
It looks vert raw like it's been rubbing on the floor which is possible as his tail is docked quite long :(
It's looking better with putting the cream on it, it's just a pain having to take him out everytime I put some on.

If it's not bleeding, or the bone is exposed, and looks like it's healing with no infection, I'd just bide my time.

Dockings take quite a long time to heal. One bad bump and it can hinder the process. It is an amputation, so depending on how old your pup was when the dock was done, would indicate also how long it will take to heal. Within days, the docking heals pretty quickly. Any older and the docking is considered an amputation and does take a while to heal. And harder on boxer's who don't ever sit still!

Gruntsmom

Boxer Insane
Oh, poor Casper. :( Hopefully with your TLC and some healing vibes, his tail will be OK soon. So, healing vibes going out to your sweet boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.