1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Casper, Wyoming...what's it like?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Indy's mom, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Indy's mom

Indy's mom Boxer Insane

We're thinking of moving. Our son lives there with his family and I find it more and more lonely to have my grandkidlets so very far away.

Here's the trouble. We love where we live! On a small lake, quiet, serene and beautiful. Because we are in Wisconsin, it's green, green, green.

So, I'm wondering, is anyone here familiar with Casper? Can I make the move and not lose my mind?

2. bxrbgood

bxrbgood Boxer Insane

Why don't you visit, stay in a motel if you need to. That will give you a chance to check the area for desirable home sites.

3. Indy's mom

Indy's mom Boxer Insane

We've been twice, for a week each time. Will of course go again because it's mandatory that those wee little ones get to know Grandpa and Grandma. loveicon

We visited them every 3 months when they lived east coast, and plan to continue this plan. Still, it's feeling like not enough now. I guess I'm a greedy Grandma, I want much more time with those little ones. :) And of course my son and DIL as well. ;)

They've only lived there since October, so not nearly enough time to really know the area, the community, weather, recreation, etc. That's why I'm trying to get more of a feel.

Thanks so much for your input.

4. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

If your son and family are still fairly new t the area themselves I would hold off moving for at least a until they have been there a year. You want to make sure they enjoy it there and are willing to put down roots. Also you can put your house up for rent and rent a place out there and see if you like it without putting everything into it until you are sure.

I understand wanting green, and Casper isn't exactly a forested place. I grew up in Florida and was use to green 12 months out of the year. We moved away for about 15 years and spring could never come soon enough for me! I found keeping plants that I could bring for the winter and put on my patio in the summer really helped with that. You would be surprised how big geraniums can get after a few years! And they bloom all year long.

Indy's mom likes this.
  5. Indy's mom

Indy's mom Boxer Insane

All good thoughts and suggestions.

After a long chat with my DIL we are thinking that more likely Ft. Collins, CO would be a better fit for us. We would absolutely rent for at least a year before we purchase anything. We want to be sure we enjoy the area, the seasons, etc.

So much to think about, and pretty darned lucky that we have the ability to make these changes.

6. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

My brother is stationed at Ft. Collins just outside Colorado Springs. For growing up a Florida boy he has become a mountain man. He enjoys doing outdoor things, (hiking, fishing...) and he likes it there.

Indy's mom likes this.
  7. Indy's mom

Indy's mom Boxer Insane

I have family in the Springs area, that's where my mom grew up. There is much about Colorado that is beautiful, people are friendly as well. Guess I'll have to pull on my big girl panties and visit, see what it's like up close and personal.

8. brodieboxer

brodieboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

Just a thought. Does your son want you to move close to them? Some children want mom and dad nearby, whereas others like their space. We're in the same quandry right now ourselves, but in reverse. We currently live within an hour of our daughter, SIL, and granddaughter. We always thought we'd move back to FL when my husband retires in 2 years, but now we're not sure. We're now considering staying where we are and taking extended trips to FL in our camper instead.

9. Indy's mom

Indy's mom Boxer Insane

That's a very good question Brodieboxer!

Yes, they are beyond excited at the thought of us living nearby. Our son left home for the Air Force 13 years ago. Even after the AF he has worked for the government, so never near to home and family. Now that they have 2 little ones and are hoping for a 3rd they often comment on how much they miss being near.

We're thinking Colorado for a couple of reasons. We've lived apart for a very long time - we don't want them to feel smothered if we are down the road. A couple or 3 hours would likely be a very good buffer for them and for us. Easy drive to allow very frequent visits both ways.

Retirement provides lots of options, I highly recommend it! :) For us, those extended vacations to visit are simply no longer enough. Especially considering that staying with them provides no buffer and we all like our space. For us it's also about being very aware of the connections we would be leaving vs those we would be moving toward.

If possible, I truly encourage you to give your thoughts a trial run for a year or so. If your retirement provides for some good long, extended trips, see how you feel. What's right for one, is often not so good for another.

Best of luck with your adventure Brodieboxer.

Sandy