Carrying our dog outside...in an apartment complex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunther

Super Boxer
-OK thank you, but she had her 2nd distemper this week, and really we're not interested in making the apartment her "go to" bathroom spot. To address your concerns: she is rarely, if ever, in contact with other dogs, and our vet said she is allowed outside.
And second shot may or may not be good enough? That's why they do three sets of shots.

Just letting folks that don't know that the "deal" is two weeks after, the last set of shots for full immunity. Pretty sure most non pros have no idea?

Thanks for the tip..didn't know viruses worked off of zip codes?

dora

Boxer Booster
I carried my pup down three sets of stairs, no quite as much as you! But, I have read that puppies at 8 weeks start to build the muscles to actually hold it. Crate training is supposed to help with that. So from 8 weeks on, it 'should' get better with being able to hold it!

As far as the question, 'should I take her out after accident' - not sure? Sorry!!

But I will say for my girl, I carried her to avoid the 'peeing on the way', until about 12 weeks, by then she started to be able to at least hold it until getting outside, or at least getting close to being there (would see her stop near the door then would scoop her up for last stretch!)

Jenny

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
It's too bad that you have such a long hallway to go down. I think I would trot her down the hallway, so that he doesn't have a chance to stop. Other dogs have probably had accidents in the hallway so she will be able to smell them. :(

Kisaq

Super Boxer
Understandable - but at the same time, we can only be so cautious, right? Can't shelter her forever, and it would be a shame for her never to experience new places/people/things as a puppy. I want her to be a well-socialized adult dog one day, also. So for now, we do our best, keep her up-to-date on vaccinations, and avoid blatant opportunities for infection.

Just be aware, that Parvo virus can stay in the ground (still actively contagious) for many YEARS. Your puppy doesn't have to play with or even be near a dog to contract Parvo.

So don't frequent the commonly used dog areas if you can help it - because any un-vaccinated dog could have left the virus there just waiting to be picked up. Even a cart at Petco isn't really safe unless you use a blanket under the puppy.

Not saying you should protect him from everything - because now is the prime time for socialization efforts. But be safe and sensible. :)

Good luck with potty training. And I have to agree with you on not teaching him to go in the apartment. :)
Ah... the joys of winter puppies.

BogeyGirl

Boxer Pal
It's too bad that you have such a long hallway to go down. I think I would trot her down the hallway, so that he doesn't have a chance to stop. Other dogs have probably had accidents in the hallway so she will be able to smell them. :(

Yeah, it is very unfortunate! We've been coaxing her with little pieces of cheese! she seems more distracted by the cheese than she is with her bladder. so for now that's working! She also is a bit stubborn. We'll put the leash on her and she just will NOT - MOVE. It's getting a little better by the day I suppose... Thank you for your advice

BogeyGirl

Boxer Pal
And second shot may or may not be good enough? That's why they do three sets of shots.

Just letting folks that don't know that the "deal" is two weeks after, the last set of shots for full immunity. Pretty sure most non pros have no idea?

Thanks for the tip..didn't know viruses worked off of zip codes?

I am sorry I did not realize you were a professional! My mistake.

Anyway, thank you again for your expert advice, I really appreciate your time and concern. Despite what you probably assume, we aren't looking to expose our dog to deadly viruses - though I can imagine it comes off that way, trying to train her to go outside and all! Really, what were we thinking?! I was however, looking for an answer to the question posed in my original post and fortunately someone else answered it.

BogeyGirl

Boxer Pal
Just be aware, that Parvo virus can stay in the ground (still actively contagious) for many YEARS. Your puppy doesn't have to play with or even be near a dog to contract Parvo.

So don't frequent the commonly used dog areas if you can help it - because any un-vaccinated dog could have left the virus there just waiting to be picked up. Even a cart at Petco isn't really safe unless you use a blanket under the puppy.

Not saying you should protect him from everything - because now is the prime time for socialization efforts. But be safe and sensible. :)

Good luck with potty training. And I have to agree with you on not teaching him to go in the apartment. :)
Ah... the joys of winter puppies.

Thanks for the heads up on the parvo thing! Yes, it's been up and down! She gets it that if she goes quickly she doesn't have to be out there in the cold long and definitely understands it's a good thing to go outside (she waits for her treat as if expecting it) but unfortunately doesn't understand it's a BAD thing to go inside. Even if we do catch her in the act and therefore have the opportunity to say "no!" or "bad!" she still doesn't look like she understands why we're saying no... I get it though - puppies = small, excitable bladders.

Kisaq

Super Boxer
Thanks for the heads up on the parvo thing! Yes, it's been up and down! She gets it that if she goes quickly she doesn't have to be out there in the cold long and definitely understands it's a good thing to go outside (she waits for her treat as if expecting it) but unfortunately doesn't understand it's a BAD thing to go inside. Even if we do catch her in the act and therefore have the opportunity to say "no!" or "bad!" she still doesn't look like she understands why we're saying no... I get it though - puppies = small, excitable bladders.

I'm not a puppy person myself. LOL. I don't think I have the patience or a quick enough reaction time for them.

But I have heard that whenever a dog has an accident in the house (especially a very young pup), one must always smack oneself with a news paper and take the pup out earlier next time. In other words, it's your fault, not hers. :)
I say this with a smile. But it is true. You need to set an alarm so you don't wait too long. And take them out after ever change - like right after play time, or after food time, or after being in the crate for a while, or after waking from a nap. Especially puppies.

Have you tried the umbilical method? Basically, you keep her tethered to you at all times that she is not confined, and you learn to read her signals, just like she's trying to learn to read you - only we're smarter so we should be able to pick up on their signals faster (ie: sniffing, or getting up and turning over ... my dog will look up and look behind him only slightly, and by that I know he needs to pee. If he starts panting for no reason, I know he generally needs to poop, if he lays his head on my lap, he want's to go out to play or walk).

If she is not tethered to you, she's in her crate.

Also, I can't remember if it's been mentioned yet in this thread, but ringing a bell that hangs next to the door EACH and every time you go out with her to potty ... then eventually teaching her to ring the bell when she wants to go out... works great for many dogs (Kisaq cheated... he rang the bell when he wanted to go out to play so we stopped doing that). lol.

anyway ... good luck!
I've never lived in an apartment complex. I just imagine you'd have to plan in advance so you have the time to get down the hallway.

Have you been to puppy class with her yet? That may help her learn to walk on a leash a little better. Plus it will help with your bonding and communication.

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
I'm not a puppy person myself. LOL. I don't think I have the patience or a quick enough reaction time for them.

But I have heard that whenever a dog has an accident in the house (especially a very young pup), one must always smack oneself with a news paper and take the pup out earlier next time. In other words, it's your fault, not hers. :) .

HA!!! That's hilarious.

My Arabella is proving this over and over, she is such a stinker with potty time!

Status
Not open for further replies.