Carrying our dog outside...in an apartment complex

Status
Not open for further replies.

BogeyGirl

Boxer Pal
Our puppy is 8 weeks old and we're just starting out getting her used to being outside in February, in the DC area, so it's quite cold still (the breeder never had the puppies outside as it was too cold). She shivers and whimpers but it is getting very quick about doing her business...she's finally realizing as soon as she does her business, she gets to go back in the warmth. HOWEVER, we live in a 14-story building and have to carry her to the elevator and then down the LONG hallway to the entrance to the doggy-area. She just can't seem to make it down that hallway without having an accident...I just want advice from anyone who lives in the same sort of environment and had to carry their puppy down - how long do you think it will be until she can walk all the way on her leash without squatting half way down the hallway? Also, should I still take her outside after her accident even if I know she won't do anything at this point - just to teach her that outside is the right place to go? Any other housebreaking advice for those who live in apt complexes and have distance to cover before getting outside (comments from home-owners not really useful here!) I'm just getting worried because she's 15 lbs. and I'm pretty small; I don't know how long I'll even be able to carry her down!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Gunther

Super Boxer
Never did the apartment thing with a dog some general advice and a warning.

In your situation I would just get bed pads and dedicate an area in the apt for her to "go potty"! Use the command it should be easy to transition here to going outside later.

OK now the warning if your puppy is 8 weeks it has not developed full immunity to the Parvo virus yet! You need at least two weeks after the last shot for the puppy to develop full immunity.

He's at risk anywhere other dogs are and yep that would mean puppy training classes, Petco and certainly dog parks!

If you want to take him to a Petco put him in a shopping cart. It looks cute and keeps him him safe!

It's also going to mean late socialization, I usually did that anyway myself but in the interest of full disclosure I mention it.

I never did that with my Struddell because I had always "assumed" first puppy shot and they were good to go!

However such is not the case if puppy gets exposed to the virus she could catch it...no full immunity until two weeks past last shot!

Outside best to keep to concert and grass no poop sniffing. The virus lives in organic matter.

Not what I did with my Struddell, I didn't know but I got lucky. But any new puppies and it's what I'll do, no dog areas until 2 weeks after last shot. Maybe a Breeder will chime in?

TwoDogs

Boxer Insane
I personally would not potty my 8 week old puppy in a communal "doggie area"--definitely not until she has had her 2nd set of vaccinations. The risk of contracting one of the very communicable and oft times fatal diseases would just be to high for my comfort.

I would place a large tray with gravel, soil or sod on it in the apartment and take her to that surface often to potty. You want her to build a preference for eliminating on the soil so that when it comes time to transition her (when she's had those shots and has a little better bladder control) you will have an easier time with it. Substrate preference can be very strong in some dogs. You don't want her to learn that paper, plastic, or fabric are acceptable surfaces to potty on--if you are like me, those kinds of things are always laying around on the floor--otherwise she might think that any of them is a perfect potty place.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
When I got Markus years ago, I live in a two story walk up. I would carry him down stairs. I can't remember how long I did it for. Probably for no more than month or so. When he got too heavy, I would rush him down the stairs and didn't give him a chance to stop and sniff.

If you live in an area where Parvo is really bad, I wouldn't want him going outside, until she has had her second set of shots. I would give her a place to potty inside until she gets a little older.

Good luck!

BogeyGirl

Boxer Pal
I personally would not potty my 8 week old puppy in a communal "doggie area"--definitely not until she has had her 2nd set of vaccinations. The risk of contracting one of the very communicable and oft times fatal diseases would just be to high for my comfort.

I would place a large tray with gravel, soil or sod on it in the apartment and take her to that surface often to potty. You want her to build a preference for eliminating on the soil so that when it comes time to transition her (when she's had those shots and has a little better bladder control) you will have an easier time with it. Substrate preference can be very strong in some dogs. You don't want her to learn that paper, plastic, or fabric are acceptable surfaces to potty on--if you are like me, those kinds of things are always laying around on the floor--otherwise she might think that any of them is a perfect potty place.

-OK thank you, but she had her 2nd distemper this week, and really we're not interested in making the apartment her "go to" bathroom spot. To address your concerns: she is rarely, if ever, in contact with other dogs and the vet has assured me she is allowed to go outside.

Last edited:

BogeyGirl

Boxer Pal
When I got Markus years ago, I live in a two story walk up. I would carry him down stairs. I can't remember how long I did it for. Probably for no more than month or so. When he got too heavy, I would rush him down the stairs and didn't give him a chance to stop and sniff.

If you live in an area where Parvo is really bad, I wouldn't want him going outside, until she has had her second set of shots. I would give her a place to potty inside until she gets a little older.

Good luck!

Thank you for your advice, just wanted to get an idea of how long I'm going to have to do this - we live in a pretty upscale area...i'm pretty sure anyone who can afford to live in this area is also vaccinating their dog and the vet has assured me she's allowed to be outside.

BogeyGirl

Boxer Pal
Never did the apartment thing with a dog some general advice and a warning.

In your situation I would just get bed pads and dedicate an area in the apt for her to "go potty"! Use the command it should be easy to transition here to going outside later.

OK now the warning if your puppy is 8 weeks it has not developed full immunity to the Parvo virus yet! You need at least two weeks after the last shot for the puppy to develop full immunity.

He's at risk anywhere other dogs are and yep that would mean puppy training classes, Petco and certainly dog parks!

If you want to take him to a Petco put him in a shopping cart. It looks cute and keeps him him safe!

It's also going to mean late socialization, I usually did that anyway myself but in the interest of full disclosure I mention it.

I never did that with my Struddell because I had always "assumed" first puppy shot and they were good to go!

However such is not the case if puppy gets exposed to the virus she could catch it...no full immunity until two weeks past last shot!

Outside best to keep to concert and grass no poop sniffing. The virus lives in organic matter.

Not what I did with my Struddell, I didn't know but I got lucky. But any new puppies and it's what I'll do, no dog areas until 2 weeks after last shot. Maybe a Breeder will chime in?

-OK thank you, but she had her 2nd distemper this week, and really we're not interested in making the apartment her "go to" bathroom spot. To address your concerns: she is rarely, if ever, in contact with other dogs, and our vet said she is allowed outside.

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
Thank you for your advice, just wanted to get an idea of how long I'm going to have to do this - we live in a pretty upscale area...i'm pretty sure anyone who can afford to live in this area is also vaccinating their dog and the vet has assured me she's allowed to be outside.

The threat could still be there, if say, a stray dog(s) came in the area, they don't care how upscale the area is they will "go" wherever they want. :) I have actually been surprised by the people I have come across who vaccinated their dogs as puppies, but haven't seen a vet in years. Some very well off financially.I wouldn't take that fact for granted ;)

BogeyGirl

Boxer Pal
The threat could still be there, if say, a stray dog(s) came in the area, they don't care how upscale the area is they will "go" wherever they want. :) I have actually been surprised by the people I have come across who vaccinated their dogs as puppies, but haven't seen a vet in years. Some very well off financially.I wouldn't take that fact for granted ;)

Understandable - but at the same time, we can only be so cautious, right? Can't shelter her forever, and it would be a shame for her never to experience new places/people/things as a puppy. I want her to be a well-socialized adult dog one day, also. So for now, we do our best, keep her up-to-date on vaccinations, and avoid blatant opportunities for infection.

Gunther

Super Boxer

Good point, but I was crediting puppies with a little more sense!? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.