Can your boxer swim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave23

Boxer Booster
We just took our babies to a creek at our local park. They've played in water before, but not where it was a little deep. I've just assumed they could swim, but today they made me wonder. When Earl got out in water that was a little bit deep, he kept holding on to my husbands leg. He wasn't letting go for anything. It was pretty funny:p Biscuit would go in the water but wouldn't stay long unless Dave was out there too, and he acted like he was scared to go too far. We would throw sticks out in the water. Earl would go after them ( in shallow water) and Biscuit would whine like he wanted to jump on in, but wouldn't. Anyway, the point is, now I don't know if they can swim or not.

leenasmom

Boxer Insane
My two can only swim in their kiddie pool during the warmer months. I have never taken them to a lake or a big swimming pool or anything, so I don't know how they would do. I would definately get mine some doggy life jackets first. ;)

Scorpio

Boxer Insane
I have heard both, some love the water and some don't like it at all, Ozzy loves the bath and running water, but I am just getting him to walk through it:LOL:

D'sMom

Super Boxer
OH yes!!!

Dasia (9 month female Brindle) just recently figured out she can swim! :D

We take her to the doggie park at Marymoor and they have a river that they section off for dogs that swim. Some parts the dog can walk into and then gradually gets deeper. Other parts, it's just a drop.

Well after about 2 months of losing tennis balls trying to get her to swim she finally succeeded in overcoming her fears last weekend! She started out walking in the water then we threw the ball further into the deep end. It took her awhile and she finally decided i can get that! She started to swim! My boyfriend and i admitted to eachother that we almost cried we where so proud of her!! Anyways she now swims over to the deep end and thinks nothing of it!! We love it because it tires her out! And also it is wonderful to see other then a retriever swimming!

Of course the first couple of times she went out into the deep end she sank! Whole head under water for a second! I think my heart stop and YES i would have dived into that freezing water soo fast! But she came back up and didn't think nothing of it :D Now she swims like a pro!

Mom3

Super Boxer
Although I've read several posts here at BW about Boxers who are great swimmers, I could never relate. Riley got knocked into the pool twice by our water-loving Labrador and sank like a stone both times. He doesn't seem to have the "swimming gene". :rolleyes: On the other hand, I've never read about a Boxer loving rain, but Riley absolutely adores it. Go figure....

Dasia's Daddy

Boxer Buddy
Re: OH yes!!!

Originally posted by D'sMom
Dasia (9 month female Brindle) just recently figured out she can swim! :D

We take her to the doggie park at Marymoor and they have a river that they section off for dogs that swim. Some parts the dog can walk into and then gradually gets deeper. Other parts, it's just a drop.

Well after about 2 months of losing tennis balls trying to get her to swim she finally succeeded in overcoming her fears last weekend! She started out walking in the water then we threw the ball further into the deep end. It took her awhile and she finally decided i can get that! She started to swim! My boyfriend and i admitted to eachother that we almost cried we where so proud of her!! Anyways she now swims over to the deep end and thinks nothing of it!! We love it because it tires her out! And also it is wonderful to see other then a retriever swimming!

Of course the first couple of times she went out into the deep end she sank! Whole head under water for a second! I think my heart stop and YES i would have dived into that freezing water soo fast! But she came back up and didn't think nothing of it :D Now she swims like a pro!

That's my girl :D

MarinaS

Boxer Insane
Tina loves swimming too! She would go into any water she comes across, she even tries to have a swim even if the weather is too cold so we have to keep an eye on her to stop her from going into the water :LOL:

Anyway I'd like to take a chance and warn you to be very careful and always watch your boxers swimming. Their bodies are not meant for swimming, and even good swimmers can start sinking.

Zsara

Super Boxer
Don't know yet...

My baby is 7 months old. We love the beach and can't wait till summer when we can find a do friendly beach to let Blade romp in the water. The boxer I had as a child loved water and would follow us where ever we went. But watch out for thoses claws when they doggie paddle...Boy they can HURT!!! lolsmashicon :p

rc

Boxer Booster
Our Lisa was taught -- she had to wear a life jacket at first then she was allowed to graduate -- Not all boxers can swim -- I was told that is was the dock tail that some don't do well -- all I know is we taught her and now she swims with us all summer long!!

KarenD

Boxer Booster
Maxxie can swim but doesn't especially like it. She's rather run around the lake and wait for Rocky. Rocky loves it and is a great swimmer, however he'll only swim if there is something to chase (ducks) or fetch (tennis balls, sticks)

Status
Not open for further replies.