1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can your boxer swim?

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by Dave23, Apr 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heidiho

heidiho Super Boxer

General doesn't swim very well. Lots of splashing and the look of pure terror on his face. Its not a pretty site. But he loves the water. He will wade out as far as he can and floats his rear end. The water is over his back at this point but he just won't swim. He swam once on his own in Puget Sound - must have been the salt water keeping him afloat.
    Hi to D's Mom. Another Boxer luvr in Washington State. :p

2. CJ's mom

CJ's mom Boxer Booster

CJ can, or could when he was about 5 or 6 months old. We were vacationing near a lake and found a spot he was allowed in (seems very rare), and wanted to see if he could swim. He absolutely HATES water, he doesn't even like to go outside when it's raining, so the only way we could get him in the water is for us to go in far enough until he wanted to follow. At first he didn't want to go further when he couldn't walk anymore, but a little coaxing and supporting his weight payed off in a hurry. He was swimming with no problem, but with no joy either. He kept swimming back and forth trying to coax us out of the water and finally succeeded! :D We will try again this summer to make sure he remembers, just to avoid him panicking if he should ever fall in deep water. He isn't likely to go willingly! :)

3. D'sMom

D'sMom Super Boxer

HI!! I hope to see you and your baby sometime in one of our Boxer Bashes here in the NWest :D

4. Cayenne's Mom

Cayenne's Mom Boxer Insane

Cayenne loves her bath time and the hose. We have a creek nearby and she loves to splash around in it. I am taking her to the beach in May so we shall see if she is a water dog or not. I am afraid she will drink too much salt water. I am planning to bring plenty of water for her just in case.

5. MandyMom

MandyMom Completely Boxer Crazy

We took Cooper to the lake and rivers all last summer. He was scared of the deep water at first, but now he can swim like a fish. He just had to get used to it I guess.
    Beware of ear infections though. Cooper got one last summer from a weekend of swimming.

6. Barron's mom

Barron's mom Completely Boxer Crazy

Barron hates the water!

He'll drink from a river at the dog park, yet will sit & watch while his cousins, a Great Dane and Shepherd Mix, splash around in the water.

7. Chroetli

Chroetli Boxer Booster

Brought Oski to the beach a month ago. It was his first time. He was so excited to be standing and running on the wet sand, chasing the waves. Then I threw the ball into the water. With no prior knowledge that the beach is sloping, he dashed straight into the water, ending up in the deep end. The depth took him by surprise but instinctively, he swam, grabbed the ball and swam back to shore. But subsequently he would not dash so far into the sea anymore. Whenever I threw the ball into the sea, he resorted to "barking the ball back"...thinking that the ball wouldultimately "swim back to him" if he barked loud and long enough.

I brought him a week later to the beach. This time there was a family with 3 cocker spaniels who were confident swimmers. Oski being his usual friendly self, I thought it will be good if he can swim with the spaniels. As the spaniels swam away, Oski again resorted to barking his friends back.

I tried holding Oski in the water. I went to the deep end, with the water up to my chest level. However Oski being a rather tall boxer, he managed to stand with his hind legs. Everyone had a good time laughing at his "swimming style" as he was actually walking underwater with his hind legs and peddling with his front paws. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.