Can you think about having a baby with dogs in the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxerGiggles

Boxer Pal
Hi there.

I would like to throw this question out there and see what your feed back is!

I have 2 boxers and a Yorkshire terrier. I really want a baby, have done for a few years - my other half thinks that it is impossible to have a baby with our dogs around - to some degree i worry that he is right?

Obviously my main worry is my boxers, well my boy to be precise!

My boxer bitch is 5 and she is so so very loving and gentle - i know she will be fine.

My boy has just turned 3 (he has been castrated) but he is so so boistrous, he would run through a wall to get his ball - he is so hectc and gets so over excited!

so there you go - what would you do / what DID you do

from one confused person!!

SweetCody

Boxer Insane
Well I had my kid before I had my boxer so I haven't had a baby around dogs......but I can't see that it poses such a horrible problem. Just lots of supervision and training. The baby doesn't stay little and helpless for long and I think that boxers and kids are a wonderful match. I know many others on this site have brought babies into multiple boxer homes and have had wonderful experiences. I'm sure some will reply. Good luck.

x19er

Boxer Insane
Yes we did it. When our son was born we had 12 year old Sophie and 4 year old Dino with no baby/boxers problems at all. We lost old Sophie and got a14 week old Charlie when our son was 7 months old and again no problems at all. Everybody else seems to think it must be so much hassle etc. but it's not, they are super together lovicon

Any other questions just ask :)

BoxerGiggles

Boxer Pal
Thanks for the reply guys

x19er - were your dogs hectic and boistrous though - did they have issues? Our boy is great indoors - although hectic and over the top lively! but out side - well he is just a nutter! he has other dog issues - although more dominant big dogs, he doesn't seem to like things being picked up i.e my yorkie if i pick him up, if we walk past people and they have their child on their hip etc he barks!

Did you have any sort of issues where you thought it would not be at all possible?

(yes bruce has been through obedience training, and managed to reach gold - its not his obedience that is the problem, it the loose wires that seem to be in his head)!!!

RileyandMax

Boxer Buddy
I don't think that it's a problem at alk=l...

Our situation is a little different, we have an 19 month old baby, a 4 year old wheaten terrier and a 10 week old boxer puppy. While smaller (35 lbs), our wheaten is a spaz and very jumpy/excitable.

You just have to keep an eye on everyone... it's not like the baby will be out of your site much anyway (at least while not in his/her crib), so keeping an eye on your dogs around the baby isn't really anything that you wouldn't do anyway.

Our wheaten basically ignored our baby until he was mobile... even then, she would usually just get up and move when he crawled towards her. The only times that I was ever fearful of our son getting hurt was when he was first walking and very unstable.... or dog doesn't have any body awareness, and would back into him or just brush by him and knock him over occasionally.

Now they get along great and they play together all of the time... Every evening somehow they end up chasing each other, with our son running, our wheaten chasing him, and our boxer pup bringing up the rear... it's cute to watch :)

x19er

Boxer Insane
Well old Sophie was a very grumpy madam and would square up to anything with 4 legs but a total sweetheart with us. Dino was a typical run round at 100 miles an hour young boxer and of course wee Charlie does about 200 miles an hour :LOL: Generally though I would say that none of them had/has any behavioral problems. They all just took in their stride. I have to say I never worried about the dogs and baby, now our son is walking him & Charlie are a right pair of partners in crime :D

caruse

Boxer Insane
As a maternity nurse that works in a hospital where we do 9000 births a year....I can say that I have had lots of couples that are having their first baby who bring pictures to the hospital of their other "babies" at home already...they are excited to bring home the baby and introduce him/her to the babies they already have....they always tell me that their dogs always seem to know that the mother is pregnant before they know it...the dogs also always seem to be protective of the pregnant mom too!! We give them tee shirts and blankets that the baby has worn to bring home getting the dogs use to the scent of the baby...it can work and even "complete" your family...I never had a newborn when my kids were babies, but I can tell you that now when a baby or toddler is in my house my dogs act so protective and gentle with them....start exposing the dogs to young children and babies now and see how it goes...in any case good luck!!
Barbaralovicon

Roccothestar

Boxer Pal
We had both our children first when our old boy that passed was 5 and he was very protective of her and our younger daughter when Mo was 10 just as protective of her. I never once had to worry about him with either girl. When Mo was put to sleep we got Rocco he is now one and the girls are 7 and 2 I won't say he hasn't knocked the little one down by accident but it doesn't seem to bother her. He does adjust his energy level around her now that he is maturing a little but I don't believe he would intentionally hurt her. Boxers are noted for being very patient with children.

MaggienDeuce

Boxer Booster
Everyone here has given great advise. I have a 21 month old son and a new baby due in 2 months. Believe me, our family gave us a hard time about the dogs before our son was born. But with the new baby on the way, not a single word from anyone about the dogs. Everyone has seen how awesome the furkids have been with my son. We followed all the great advice we got on boxerworld and have had much success. Now, we have to protect the dogs from the baby. It is amazing how much abuse the pups take from a todder, and it is MUCH harder to teach a child the right way to treat the pups.

BoxerGiggles

Boxer Pal
Thank you

Thanks every one for all your help!

My bitch has grown up with children - sort off - my step daughter was about 6 when we got Jaye - and she has always been good - Jaye and alants bond was really strong it was incredible! And i have no worries at all with Jaye being around kids - i know she will be fab!

My worry is Bruce - i just dont know if he will be good? he is just so blinkin hectic and boistrous and protective and powerful!

Status
Not open for further replies.