1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I vent?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Sister Ray, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sister Ray

Sister Ray Boxer Booster

Of course, that doesn't work. The dogs still shed. I'm not sure if the breeders care though.

2. SweetGirlie1400

SweetGirlie1400 Super Boxer

actually.. like i said be4.. it causes mixed results.. thats the main problem... they lined up 10 "labradoodles" from different uuhh "breeders" and just about each and every single on eof them had something different about them.. no consistency.. one looked like a lab with medium length curly hair.. some had short curly hair, some had short lab type of hair but looked more like a poodle :( here's some pictures of how unconsistent they are

http://www.pupsoncups.com/gallery/Labradoodle Cutie.jpg
    http://dogs.about.com/library/gallery/labradoodle1.jpg
    http://blazingstar9.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/toby11.jpg
    http://www.penberthcove.co.uk/mediac/400_0/media/Paddy~web~jpg.JPG

this was using a search.

3. Nek'sMom

Nek'sMom Boxer Booster

I am sorry, but every one of those dogs were ugly!:eek: Labs are beautiful to begin with, but personally I just don't like poodles at all! I have never met a nice one, and the ones I have met were still ugly. I don't mean to offend anyone, it just irks me that these goofs are breeding labs with everything! I owned two labs in my life and they were the sweetest dogs in the world. This was before I got into Boxers, forgive me guys! Couldn't they not be consistent because it's a new breed? Just a guess, but I am sure that has something to do with it!

4. MortarDogg

MortarDogg Guest

of course there is inconsistency. Some will be more like labs and some will be more like poodles...that is because the parents are each pure. DUH!!!

As you select which "labradoodles" you want the standard to be, you will then begin mating the ideal crosses and then you will not have the wide variation.

It is the same with purebred breeders who are looking for a certain trait. Some of their pups will be very shy and withdrawn while some will be very outgoing and agressive. You take the ones in the middle who have a good personality and breed them with each other and then you will have mostly dogs with nice personalities.

breeders, please correct me if I am wrong, but is that not how genetic selection works??? Regardless of how you may feel about the whole Labradoodle situation, it would seem to make sence that as the new hybrid emerges you will have this great variance at first. then once you get 3rd and 4th generation you will begin to have a set standard. It makes sence to me, but I have no formal training in genetics

5. Scrapper's Mom

Scrapper's Mom Boxer Insane

I'm not a breeder but I guestion whether there really is an attempt to create a new breed - what would be the purpose of this dog - aside from being able to say "doodle" or "poo" at the end of its name? I would surmise that usually there are only pure lab and poodles crossed with each breeding so you only have the second generation. Is the breeder trying to actually create a new breed, or are they trying to enhance some characteristic of either lab or poodle that they feel is missing? In which case, you would keep adding in that characteristic with each breeding... not just make another random cross. What are the specific traits that they are trying to breed in? IMO, I think this is more of a sales gimmick.

6. Eric J

Eric J Boxer Insane

Making a point with the ever eloquent "DUH", not exactly a crowd pleaser here at BW. Hard to respect your views when you do not show respect for others.

I will hazard a guess here and say you are missing the point. If this was some legit breeder trying to make a newbreed for a good reason and was doing it all properly I am sure you wouldn't see many complaints here. Especially if the end goal was to make a healthy dog with a distinctive purpose (i.e. Boxers and guard duty).

The problem is the large amount of these breeders whom are just cashing in on a fad and NOT trying to create a new breed with the dogs health and well being in mind. This is a just another BYB trend you see happen and eventually fade out. A decade from now chances are you will see tons of these mixes in pounds as regular mutts, since the demand for them will drop.

Yet again I will utter the disclaimer you are hearing so often in this thread that mutts are great. My neighbor has one and I love her and I had one growing up myself and still think fondly of Bingo.

I know the Boxer is NOT a work of nature, but a work of selective breeding and I am happy they did it. I have no problem with it happening again, as long as it is done RIGHT and not for a buck. That is the main point here I believe.

7. betsyjean

betsyjean Boxer Booster

Well said Eric J! Don't think I could add one more thing ;)

8. neilsmom2000

neilsmom2000 Super Boxer

I haven't read this whole thread, but I couldn't resist adding that Boxerpoos were advertised in my local paper a couple of weeks ago. A BOXERPOO. Poo is right; can you imagine an uglier combo? I mean, I like poodles well enough, I love boxers, but the two mixed together? Bleh!

--Barb

9. MortarDogg

MortarDogg Guest

First off...Eric J, I am not here to please the crowd, nor am I missing the point of the thread...you are missing the point of my post. I am angry about this thread because everyone is painting Hybrid breeders with the same brush. The view that they are ALL just money hungry BYB's is both unfair and uneducated. As I said before...there is a site very similar to BW that has Labradoodle lovers on it, I saw it once by accident even before this thread came about.

Everyone is so dead against any hybrid with a cute name so I will no longer argue my point. I just want to say this, would you rather see a purebred bulldog breeder who is creating a frankenstein of a dog, one who is so genetically messed up that it can not even breed on its own anymore, or someone who sees 2 ideal traits in 2 different breeds and tries with the best of intentions to merge these great animals into a healthy superpet???

I love bulldogs, but they are now a man made mess, they have more health problems than a person who eats Alberta beef, prepared by a recent visitor to Toronto while outside with no mosquito spray on. :D (Local Joke) Don't tell me that bulldog breeding is not cruel, they are the most expensive dogs in these parts and they are creating unhealthy dogs for the most part!!!

http://www.horneysbulldogs.com/Bulldog_Health.html

Just because someone gives a cross breed a CUTE name does not mean it is an advertising campaign for their multi-million dollar byb business. If you ask me I think BOXER is a pretty cute name, seeing as how they actually fight like little humans and all ;)

Whatever, I am done now.

10. Eric J

Eric J Boxer Insane

Wish I could delete this post, since I dont want to respond in kind.

Last edited: May 29, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.