1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I show Alfie if his been neutered

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by james, Nov 17, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james

james Boxer Pal

I have a one year old boxer called Alfie. He is red and white. Many times people have approached me and ask if I show him, when I say no, they say I should. The thing is I had him neutered and I am not sure if you can show a boxer if this has been done. I would be grateful for your advice.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

I think you may be able to in the UK but am not sure of the exact laws. I'm sure if you contact the Kennel Club (and your nearest Boxer Club), you will get all the rules and regs regarding showing :)

3. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

I know here in the US a Boxer must be unaltered in order to show, just wondering why?

Alisha - Indiana

4. Cindy and Lacie.

Cindy and Lacie. Guest

True, US says they must be unaltered, this just burns me and I dont understand the reasoning behind it.

------------------
    Cindy Corl
    Lacie female, brindle, natural ears,7-17-99

5. Boxerworld

Boxerworld BW owner Staff Member

I think even fixed dogs can do obedience/agility, no?

Olly

6. Cindy and Lacie.

Cindy and Lacie. Guest

Good point Olly, yes they can do agility and obedience.

------------------
    Cindy Corl
    Lacie female, brindle, natural ears,7-17-99

7. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Neutered dogs can participate in any AKC events except conformation - so obedience, agility, tracking, herding, etc.

The reason that dogs must be unaltered in the conformation ring is that the purpose of conformation showing is to evaluate breeding stock. An altered dog obviously cannot be bred, so it is pointless to show it in the conformation ring. (This does not always work out the way it is intended, there are several finished dogs that many do not consider breeding quality, and many breeding quality dogs that will never finish - in Boxers, usually because they're plain.)

Julie

8. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

JulieM - That's what I figured but thought maybe there was a real reason for it instead. I'm sure many people that don't plan to breed would still enjoy showing their dogs. But if an altered Boxer beat out someones unaltered Boxer that is wanting the title mainly for breeding that person would be very upset. :)

Alisha - Indiana

[This message has been edited by Alisha Mobley (edited 11-21-2000).]

9. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Alisha,

Many people that don't plan to breed do enjoy showing their dogs in conformation - they just neuter them later :)

Sometimes it is a matter of "establishing a name" for yourself and your kennel. Sometimes it is a matter of getting a SOM or DOM. Sometimes it is a matter of pride. (Not that any of these are right - or wrong - that's just what sometimes happens.)

For a pet owner who has no interest in ever breeding, I just can't see why they would bother showing in conformation. It's a tremendous expense, can be highly political, and can take years to pay off. Obedience and Agility, on the other hand, seem to me to be much more instantaneously rewarding. You can see your dog learning, and when you get to competition, *every* dog can win a leg that day. There is only one HIT, but you can finish in three shows, and so can your friend. In conformation, if you finish in three shows (highly unusual, but it happens) your friend has to wait until the next three. And, frankly, if you have a dog that will finish in three shows you probably want to breed it!

Julie

10. Titus-n-me

Titus-n-me Boxer Pal

To neuter or not- that is the question

Yes, here in the US if you wish to show your dog he/she must be unaltered. I agree with this. Showing dogs in my opinion is like letting the dog world know what kind of specimen there is available in your particular breed. Everyone who breeds dogs should be doing it to get as close to the standard as possible. They should want to better the breed in type, tempermant, and health. Dog shows do the "weeding" out for you. You are able to see what type of dog is avilable if your bitch should be mated. Or if you plan to stud, it gets your kennel's name, your dog's name out there. Showing an altered dog would be a waste of time. Why would you want to look at a dog/bitch that can not reproduce? This is how I feel about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.