Can anyone advise on anthistomines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roge

Boxer Insane
I want to start Roge on antihistomine pending results of biopsy for mct. Unfortunatly I cant get Benadryl so on the advise of the chemist I bought Zirtek 10mg cetrizine dihydrochloride she said it was the same as diphendramine.
I cant seem to obtain the info I need so I was wondering if anyone out there could enlighten me. She also said that it was ok for dogs but I am afraid to chance it until I know.
I would have to wait until friday to contact my vet as the small animal clinic is only open monday and fridays ( we live in a village ) and if the truth be told I didnt want to ask her anymore questions yesterday as I must have asked 50 of them before I left Roge with her, I did mention antihistomines and she said something like thats not the practice used here. to be honest I was more concerned about Ace at the time.
So as I said if anyone can enlighten me I would be very greatfull.

Barkley

Boxer Booster
I did a little digging around and found that it seems some docs do 'prescribe' Zyrtec for dogs, but it isn't the same thing as Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). Just make sure that the variety you purchase doesn't include pseudoephedrine, (Zyrtec D, for instance), as dogs absolutely cannot have that (potentially fatal).

I guess my first question would be...do you know anybody in the UK who can get Benadryl for you? Seems from the searching that I did that it is available there. We live in Germany and here, dipenhydramine is sold over-the-counter, but not as an antihistamine...as a sleep aid. As such, it's pretty expensive in comparison to the 100-pills for six dollars in the States. Is it possibly available there, but you just have to get a prescription for it? From a people-doc, versus a vet?

I think you are wise not to give the Zyrtec on the chemist's advice - wait to speak with your vet to make sure. A day or two isn't going to make or break you in the long run, so try not to worry too much!

Hmmm...you know...it's just dawning on me...might Benadryl be available in Northern Ireland? Not sure where you live, but it seems like if it's affordable, that might be worth the drive or train trip. I'll Google some more and see what I can find, but it seems sensible to me that if it's available in England, it should be in N Ireland, too??

Back in a few with whatever I find.

Best,
Jenn

Barkley

Boxer Booster
Hmmm....can you check for Nytol, or Medinex? Seems like it might be sold as a sleep aid there (N Ireland), too, rather than as an allergy remedy. I'm not having a ton of luck finding anything, but I would think you could probably ask the chemist or your vet whether it might be available via either a ferrie, car, or train ride in the UK, and if so whether it would be worth it, cost-wise.

Let me know what you find out! Good luck!

Jenn

joannaryan

Boxer Insane
If you google " Can you give a boxer zyrtek, it will send you to forum on here with advice about giving zyrtek. I think you will be ok giving the zyrtek. Good Luck :)

cantfindlog

Completely Boxer Crazy
Yes, Zyrtec, Chlorotrimeton, Claritin and Allegra can be used on dogs. I don't know off the hand the name of the active ingredient in each of these antihistamines. And I'm not sure if these drugs are sold under the same name outside of the US.

If you start you should make sure your vet is aware of your choice and start out at a minimal dose. Leah is on a higher dose due to allergies (30mgs per day) so a once daily dosing may be all that is needed with your current situation of a pending MCT diagnoses. If I'm not mistaken, I believe a medication such as pepcid is given along with antihistimines for MCT. Not sure, look that up or maybe "Cami" will chime in with that.

Good luck and hoping Roge doesn't have MCT.

Barkley

Boxer Booster
Oh...I totally didn't even think of Pepcid! That's a great idea! I don't know about there, but Zrytec is quite expensive in comparison to Pepcid or, even better, it's generic.

x19er

Boxer Insane
Benadyrl is a brand name which causes the confusion here in the UK as ours has a different type of anti-histamine in.

As far as I'm aware you need to use an old-fashioned type of anti-histamine which does not contain any decongestants or even marketed as non-drowsy, or 1 a day etc.

The 2 types we have used for Dino are chlorphenamine maleate (you can get this branded as Piriton) or diphenhydramine which is in Nytol, sold as a sleeping aid here in the UK - our pharmacist cross referenced it for us.

I believe that anti-histamines don't work in the same way on dogs as they do on us hence why they can only take certain types so I'd be wary unless 100% positive that it's ok to go ahead and use what you have at the mo.

sandy's mom

Boxer Insane
My Napoleon takes a Zyrtec every day for his allergies. Actually, we use the generic, it is much cheaper.
He has been taking it for a little over and year with great results and has had no side effects that I can see. Of course, each dog is different.
His vet said he can take two per day, but we haven't had to yet.
Benadryl doesn't work for him at all.

Good Luck!

Roge

Boxer Insane
Thanks a mill everyone for your input. I have spent the last two hours searching for info and my head is now fried.
Benadryl can be purchased in Northern ireland but wont ship across the border.
I cant get zytec here but I can get a brand called zirtek. I cant seem to find out if they are the same.
What I think I will do is pop into my vet office tomorrow and see if they can advise on what is safe to give, they mainly deal with live stock but I know that there is one chap there that deals with emergancy small animal issues. if i get no joy there I will wait unitil friday and call the small amimal clinic.
I am afraid to go on the advise that the chemist gave, that is why I put the question out there.
Its much better to be safe than sorry. Poor Roge has had a tough enough start to the week without me trying to kill him to boot.

Sablegirl

Super Boxer
Is it possible to order Benedryl online and have it shipped to you...one of my husband's medicines that he takes it not available in the USA and we get it from New Zealand. Just wondering. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.