1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buster our senior boy isn't eating

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by snowicki, May 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowicki

snowicki Boxer Booster

I'm desperate for any thoughts. Sorry it's so long but I don't want to miss any details.

Buster is an 8 1/2 year old neutered male. It started the beginning of May, Labor Day actually. He started to refuse his regular meals but would still eat canned food. So we played the waiting game with his food, we thought that maybe he was just being stubborn. 4 Days of that was about all I could take. Took him to the vet and they ran blood work, which came back fine and prescribed an antibiotic for his gums (he's got gingival hyperplasia). They said to go ahead and just keep him on canned food. Well, that night he started to refuse canned food as well. So we stared him on rice and chicken. He ate a bit at two different meals and stopped that. Long story short he had only been eating maybe an eighth of a cup of whatever he will eat and many hours later (6+) he'll vomit it up undigested. Of course he has diahrea as well because he isn't digesting anything. He went back to the vet on this past Monday. They did a few xrays and found absolutely nothing on those. Sent us home with anti nausea and stomach ulcer medicine. He has gone from 94lbs. and is now down to 62lbs in a matter of 3-4weeks. I was doing some research yesterday and came across the possibility of Addisons disease. Called the vet and to find out their thoughts on this and they are going to recheck his blood for electolyte levels. But until I hear back this afternoon I'm just a wreck. It is so heartbreaking to look at him and still see him so mentally healthy and happy to be loved and not be able to help him. Please, if you have any thoughts on what else could possibly be going on I would love to hear them.

2. Tankersbabe

Tankersbabe Boxer Booster

Oh poor boy! Hope he gets to feeling better soon!

*Big hugs!*

Stef

3. lafsalot

lafsalot Boxer Insane

Sending postive energies your way in hopes that there is nothing seriously wrong with Buster. Keep us posted ~ Cathy

4. dharmadoodle

dharmadoodle Boxer Pal

I thought of a blockage, but the x-rays showed no signs.

I can see how this would have you stumped.

Let us know how the tests come back.

Good luck.

Sending (((Healing vibes))).

5. Coco'smommy

Coco'smommy Boxer Insane

Shannon, I'm sorry to hear your baby is not well. I understand a bit of this, but sorry I have no advice. I hope that you get it figured out soon and will keep you all in my thoughts.

6. Holden's Mom

Holden's Mom Boxer Insane

Did they check thyroid? My sister's cat had similar symptons and it was a thyroid problem.

I hate it when the fur kids don't feel well, particulairly when they won't eat. And when the vet has no ideas, I always push to go to a Vet School. When living in IN, I used Purdue. Having moved, I'll request a referral to Auburn. Can you ask your vet for a referal to the nearest school of veterinary medicine?

I hope you get answers soon and Buster feels better.

Pam and Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.