1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bulldog eyes

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by elgerdes, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elgerdes

elgerdes Completely Boxer Crazy

Hey there

My dog Macy, a bulldog, has always had problems with her eyes. At about 4 months she had surgery to correct cherry eye in both eyes. This is where the third eyelid is exposed and may turn out on itself. Like any other bulldog, Macy gets lots of eye boogers. She is on eye drops (probably for the rest of her life, she is not even 5) but hates them and it's a 3 man job to put them in.

Now the boogers are so bad they affect her vision it seems. I can see them ON her eye and the vet just keeps saying use the drops. If the boogers work their way to the corner of her eye, I can wipe them out. This is a multiple times a day occurrence.

Is there anything anyone else knows I can try? I don't want to hurt her! I have heard the eyeball has no feeling, but don't feel like it's a good idea to take a Kleenex and wipe the surface of her eye!

Please any suggestions are welcome.

Like I said, I HAVE taken her to the vet, and opthamalogist. They keep telling us it's an eye infection, but I'm open to other ideas :)

Thanks

2. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

Buster oftens gets blocked tear ducts and I have to use drops. He is a freak when it comes to nursing his issues.

I have learned to put in the drops from the back of his head so he can't see it coming. If he doesn't see it then he's perfectly fine. I take the dropper in the right hand if it's his right eye (left for left). Then I kneel down and ask for a kiss. When his head is in my chest, I take my left hand and hold his head in a hug while my right hand comes from behind his head and drops go in from above. He doesn't see it coming or feel it hit til its in the eye.

See if being a bit sneaky helps.

I have often used a q-tip with a drop or two of saline on it to clear away eye goobers. I moisten it first to soften and it helps lubricate the eye as I swipe - no left over dry spot that would freak me out too.

3. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

You heard wrong. The eye FOR SURE has feeling. I can attest to that after Cami scratched my cornea. Talk about massively painful!
    I begged the doc to give me a script for the numbing drops he put in when I first got to the ER. No can do!
    If the eye didn't have feeling then they wouldn't get irritated when we get something in them. Something as small as a grain of sand can drive us insane.

4. MonaC

MonaC Boxer Booster

I don't know if this will help but it's worth a try. I give Delilah filtered water. I have a faucet filter and it seems to have helped the eye boogers a lot. I read it here. I don't know why it works but it did. She also has seasonal allergies and I give her Loratidine (Claritin). It is over the counter. It's time release so I only have to give it once a day and it doesn't make her drowsy. Good luck.

5. elgerdes

Is it safe to give claritin to a dog?

Macy is just SUCH a pain to give eye drops to. Last night, my brother held her on his lap, her back to his chest. I sat in front of them, baby-talking and ready to hold her paws if she threw a fit (she is extremely strong and can flail like no other). My mom went from the back and tried to drop them in. In all, we spent 15 mins doing this. My mom MAYBE got a drop in each eye.

Macy really is such a sweet girl. Wouldn't hurt a fly. Over time, she has gotten better with us trimming her nails. But heaven forbid we give her eye drops! She has punctured skin on my face (nails) and almost gotten ahold of my dad's cheek (teeth). Bulldogs have a scary strong jaw and she only tries to snap when doing eye drops.

I'm going to try and put saline on a cotton ball and remove the film on her eye.

Part of her anxiety I think has to do that she has a hard time seeing, due to the boogers on her eye. But we can't get them off with her freaking out...endless cycle.

6. johann

johann Boxer Insane

If she bites, I'd buy a muzzle (not sure what type would fit a bulldog) and desensitive her to it. That way she can get the needed medication, and you can stay safe.

It is safe to give claritin to dogs...but not sure of the dosage. Maybe a search or someone will chime in.

7. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Caney takes Loratadine (generic form of Claritin) for her allergies sometimes. I don't know the exact dosage per pound but Caney weighs 62 lbs and should get 14mg, per our vet. They are 10mg pills so I usually just give her 1 1/2. One dose lasts 24hrs.

8. elgerdes

I'm going to try the claritin. And actually, something johann said made me think of an idea. A muzzle would NOT go over well, but she loves her harness for walks. I'm going to try and slip it on her before the drops. That's how we got her to hold still for nail trimming, not sure why I didn't think of that before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.