1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bringing home our new baby girl tomorrow, and am scared out of our minds!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by amilhazes, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amilhazes

amilhazes Boxer Pal

The only reason I'd play is to get her tired because when I put her back in her crate, she does not go back to sleep. It's non stop barking for three hours.

Is there any specific thing I can give her for a treat to lure her and reward her for going into her crate? I bought puppy training treats but she doesn't seem to like them that much. I know my chocolate lab we had loved cheese. Is cheese an ok treat?

I do have a blanket over the crate so it looks like a little den for her. I can not fit the crate in my room my room isn't large enough.

2. sjtorr

sjtorr Boxer Booster

If we didn't have the stuffed toy with the mechanical heart and heat pack I don't think we would gave been successful with nighttime crate. Is the crate in the same room with you at night?

3. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

I guess that the crate you have is an adult sized one ? .... ( which, of course makes total sense to have bought, rather than a puppy one which she will outgrow) .... but could you maybe buy, or borrow from someone, a smaller one that can fit in your room, just temporarily, while she is so young ?

I am pretty sure that having her separated from you is the problem. Perhaps she knows that when she goes into the crate, that you are going to leave her, so she is associating it with a bad experience ? .... but you can't be expected to camp out next to her crate all night either ! I have always kept my young puppies close to me for those first few weeks, and I think they would have all cried for 3 hours straight like your little one, if they were crated in another room by themselves. I find that puppies are very easily comforted, simply by your presence .... and will happily play in their crate, even if they aren't ready for sleep. if they are in the same room as you. However, maybe that is just my own experience, and others may tell you differently.

I am the first to admit I am a push-over for puppies, and probably spoil them more than I ought to :)

With my past pups, once they are sleeping through the night, and no more night-time potty trips, I have gradually moved their crates out of the bedroom and to downstairs, and eventually when fully house trained, out of the crates altogether and on to dog beds. My present boxer baby, Luna, however, is being completely spoiled and she has stayed firmly put, still sleeping on her floor cushion in our bedroom :)

I do see your reasoning for playing in the middle of the night .... but I still think that it will encourage her to NOT want to go back into her crate and settle back to sleep ... what puppy, given the option, would not sooner stay up and play, rather than go into a crate ? I would also not offer food and water during the night, as this will surely result in her need to potty again in the early hours of the morning, when I would hope to be fast sleep still :)

Cheese is a great treat for tempting ..... also cut up hot dogs ..... little pieces of bacon ..... Think of tasty things with a strong aroma that will be totally irresistible :) As with the things we crave to eat, they are maybe not the healthiest food choices ... but will do no harm as you are only offering these occasionally as training tool "treats ".

Good luck with her

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  4. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

Don't feed her or play with her at 3 am. Nighttime potty trips are just that--potty trips--no playing, no excitement. Make them really boring and just about getting business done. I didn't even turn on lights or talk much to my pups during nighttime trips outside except to praise the pottying.

Apartments stink because usually the neighbors don't appreciate a barking pup. Move the crate to your bedroom, right next to your side of the bed. If your pup wakes in the night, take her out to potty and then put her right back in the crate. If she whines or fusses, you can wordlessly stick your fingers through the crate to soothe her but don't engage her, talk to her, or fuss over her.

If it is safe to do so, you can even elevate the crate so it is more at the level of your bed. This way, you are sort of "co-sleeping" and she feels close to you but she still gets used to sleeping in the crate. Then over time you lower the crate and move it to a more convenient location in the room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.