1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bringing home our new baby girl tomorrow, and am scared out of our minds!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by amilhazes, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amilhazes

amilhazes Boxer Pal

Hi my name is Alex. My fiance and I are picking up our new addition to our family tomorrow morning. Lila is a brindle, 7 weeks old. We picked her because she had probably the mellowest personality of all the pups from the litter. She was very calm and while all the other puppies were jumping and biting, she and one other puppy were snuggling together and resting. (my parents actually got that other boy fawn she was cuddling with and Lila with now get to grow up with her brother, Jake)... but i digress.

We are bringing her home tomorrow and I am clueless!! I grew up with a chocolate lab. My parents brought her home when I was 8 and i had little to do with the training process. I have been reading this forum non stop for the last 3 hours and am now so scared!! LOL.

I have already got her a crate, an adjustable one so i can change the space she has as she grows. Right now I have just enought space for her to have a blanket bed i folded up for her, a pee pee pad, and a water/food bowl. Is this enough space? too much space? I know nothing.

My parents as well as the breeder have suggested taking her to go potty outside every 15-20 minutes. Positive encouragement and reinforcement. I picked up some of the 1/1 calorie training snack I plan on giviing her as rewards for good behavior. I spent hours yesterday baby proofing my apartment.

Right now i live in an apartment complex. i DO NOT plan on taking Lila to any dog areas in the neighborhood. She is getting her second round of shots tomorrow morning before I pick her up. My concern is this. I want to train her that outside is the place to go potty. But after reading on here i am now very scared of her getting sick. a lot of my neighbors have dogs and walk them outside. i do not want her to get sick or parvo from something outside. it is a pretty nice area and all the dogs seem good, clean. but i know that means nothing. what do i do??? how can i train her to go potty outside, and not inside, when i know my neighbors walk their dogs in the vicinity?? my parents who have raised several dogs over the years said the best way to try is as soon as i see she has to go, scoop her right up and take her outside... suggestions?

also i see a lot of people let their puppies sleep with them in bed. I am totally ok with that and would love to cuddle with her at night. does this hinder the box training at all?? i plan on leaving her in her box while i am at work and my fiance said she would come home and take her out in between. what can i do can i try having her in bed? will she make a mess or does the fact that we will be in there with her deter that ?? like i said i am clueless, any help is greatly appreciated.

starting next week I will be working second shift at my job (02:30p-11:00p). I think this will be good because i can stay up a little later to give her potty breaks. Sandi should be able to stop by on her way home from work around 5:30. so there is a three hour break there, and then ill be home by 11. are there any concerns i should have with this schedule? how can i help Lila get used to this schedule.?

Are there any supplies i still need to get? i have a collar, leash and harness. i have food and water bowls. crate. lots of toys alreays, squaky and all. i also purchased some teething toys, a teething bone for puppies from petsmart and some teething plastic keys ( so freakin cut!!) what strategies can i employ to get her used to using her teething supplies and not items in the house. I guess my biggest concerns right now are potty training, teething/biting, and obedience training. I have been doing research non stop for the last week. we kind of only decided we were getting a puppy a week ago :) i am so excited. from the moment sandi and i were holding her we were in love... i am so excited to have a new girl to give my heart to... any help/suggestions/advice/strategies/dos and donts anyone has please let me know!!!!! i want to be the best daddy in the world for her, and at the same time I want her to be able to be obedient and well trained.

again my biggest concerns right now are her health and if its safe to take her outside to go potty right now...

thanks. it has been a delight reading all of the stories so far and i look forward to sharing mine soon!!!

2. kcirishfan

kcirishfan Boxer Pal

Congratulations!!

It was about a year ago I brought Greta home. VERY similar circumstances! I lived in an apartment as well, so I know what you're feeling! Potty training honestly was pretty easy, I just made it a point to be sure to take her out after she ate or took big drinks of water. There were a few accidents, I won't lie...but just the repetition made it go a lot smoother!
    It also probably helped that I lived on the bottom floor, and the grass is just outside the door.

After a while, she just would stand there looking at the grass and that was always the cue! Best of luck, you and your fiancee are in for a blast!

3. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

Go here and download the free copy of Before You Get Your Puppy and After You Get Your Puppy. They cover everything you'll need to know--from potty training, to socialization, to basic training, to equipment, crate training, etc.

Dog Star Daily

4. TyTysmom

TyTysmom Super Boxer

Congrats on your new fur baby!

Personally I would not allow your new baby to sleep with you. My husband and I were talking about it just the other day wishing we would have listened to everyone that told us not to allow it when Tyson was a puppy. Now that he's full grown he is a bed hog and moves around the bed a lot at night!

Best of luck! Can't wait to hear all of your puppy stories

5. luvmyboy

luvmyboy Boxer Insane

Congratulations! How is Lila doing?

6. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

We knew we didn't want our girl to sleep in our bed either .... had enough of that whem my kids were young ! However, we desperately wanted to enjoy bedtime snuggles. We have always had Luna in our bed for an hour before lights out, where she snuggles while we read ...... then she goes in her bed on the floor overnight. In the morning she comes back up for good morning snuggles and we all get to have a bit of extra sleep. This my favorite time of all, as she is particularly snuggly then and gets as close as possible with her head burrowed into us. I just love it :)

7. sjtorr

sjtorr Boxer Booster

I can't imagine having a dog in an apartment, so if my suggestions don't apply, just ignore them :)

Good to take your pup out regularly.
    We trained ours to ring a set of bells hung by the door when she needs to go out. Every time you take her out, ring the bells. Lexi picked up on the idea in 24 hours. Stunned us silly the first time she rang the bells herself. lol can pick them up at a pet store.

Parvovirus concerns : my vet recommended giving a cooked egg yolk every day until the last shots are given. Apparently some research in japan supported this claim as a preventive measure. Either way, it won't hurt her to have egg :) Lexi was getting oatmeal and egg for breakfast for a while. She loved it!

Teething and biting... Teething actually occurs multiple times in the first year. I suggest picking up some bully sticks for chewing. Water buffalo doesn't stink as much as beef... To deter chewing other things, if she finds something else to chew, redirect to something she is allowed to chew. For some dogs, spraying the non chew item with Apple cider vinegar might deter. Didn't work on Lexi, but we were able to always redirect. At one year the only things she goes for are her toys and occasionally the tv remote if I've left it in reach while she is alone lol. Different textures are important. A rope bone soaked in chicken broth and frozen can be helpful. Cold to soothe the gums and tastes good. Frozen berries worked great too. And ice cubes. Stock frozen into ice cubes is another idea. Main thing us just always redirect to an acceptable toy. Something we found with Lexi is she got nippy when what she really ended was to go outside but didn't want to miss out on the fun lol.

Leaving alone.., I work from home so didn't gave to do that much, but something else you can consider ... They make a toy dog that has a mechanical heart and a space to put a heat pack. Simulates the mothers heart and warmth. We used it for a couple of months at night in her crate.

Good luck... You'll do great!

8. amilhazes

amilhazes Boxer Pal

Two weeks in... Whew

Well Wednesday will be two weeks Lila will be with us. I can say it has been a long fortnight. Some good things and some bad things. She seems to understand pottying outside. She has an accident every now and then but for the most part is pretty good a out not going everywhere. I have a sliding glass door at the back of my apartment on ground level and just yesterday she started scratching at the door and I took her out she she peed right away. I was so happy. Lol. As far as where I let her walk, I keep her pretty close to the back of my apartment. I know there are seldom dogs walked just outside my back door and keep her within about ten feet of my patio.

The hardest thing so far has been her crate. She hates it. Can't stand it. For a couple days last week whenever she fell asleep I would pick her up and place her in her crate and just leave the door open. I thought this was working and making her more comfortable. But not it seems like she falls asleep. I lay her down in her crate (which has big puffy plush blanket in it so I know it's comfy) and she immediately gets up and walks out. I try and pick her up and out her back and she just doesn't want to have it. We did this about a hundred times the other day. Then if u close the door to her crate she just flips out. She sounds like a pack of monkeys yelping over bananas. This hasn't gotten particularly bad in the evenings. If i can somehow manage to get her to go to sleep in her crate, she will usually wake up around 1-3 am. I get up. Take her potty. She goes potty. I give her some food she will eat and drink a lil. Then I try and get her tired by playing a little. And then she gets sleepy again. This was working like a charm. Secret recipe was potty, eat, play, potty, sleep. Now she just will not go to sleep again in her crate and she just screams and screams. It's hard and I'm not sure what to do.

Potty issues seem ok right now. We walk her very often and praise/reward her for going outside. Biting / chewing isn't too bad, yet. We just keep giving her the right things to chew on whenever she starts at something. But the crate and her crying. It's bad. My mom and dad got one of Lila' siblings, a boy, Jake. They said Jake will sleep thru the night. Meanwhile I am up two three times walking Lila and then dealing with her when she doesn't want to go back to bed. Am I doing something wrong? Idk. Any input is always appreciated. I Just wish there was a way to make her like her crate. If she liked her crate and could sleep the night, or at least go in it without bringing the jungle sounds into the apartment.... I hear church bells and the hallelujah song... World peace. Joy to the world. Ode to joy.

9. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

Puppies are hard work indeed .... but she will settle down, and the enjoyment will soon outweigh the commitment ... so hang in there :) Well Done to you and her for getting pottying under control, that is great !

The issue with the crate. Its a good idea to wait until she is sleepy before crating her ... but a bad idea to " sneak" her in, while she is asleep. Ideally, you want her to walk in to her crate by her own choice. You can do this with using really tempting treats. Use the treat to coax her in and initially reward with the treat just for putting her front paws and head inside, working up gradually to only rewarding when she is all the way inside. You can also use a new "special" toy that she is excited to have, which she is only allowed to have when she is in her crate. Some people also feed the pup's meals inside the crate. The goal is to make the crate associated with pleasant things, which for most dogs usually equates to food ! Progress to then placing the treat inside the crate and sending her in after it .... putting the treat further and further inside. Being patient and working up gradually is the key. Never close the door at first, then close the door just for 30 seconds and immediately open it .... then a minute ... two minutes ...five minutes ... and so on.

Have you also placed a blanket over the top of the crate, so that it is darkened and den-like ? Also, keep her crate initially in an area in the house with lots of human traffic, where she can see and hear you. Puppies don't like to be separated from you.

Re the drama ... and Oh Boy, can puppies holler :) ..... If she is upset when closed in her crate, you can calm your puppy by sitting very close to the door, where she can smell you and feel your presence. She will probably push her nose close to you. Don't talk to her, face away from her. As she settles, gradually move further away from her, but stay where she can see you, for re-assurance .... until she is 100% settled, or sleeping.

It takes a little while, but she will grow to love her crate as her own safe and comforting place.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  10. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

Just re-read your post ... and see that you are giving food and drink and playing at 3am !! You must be exhausted ... and it is no wonder your puppy doesn't want to go back to sleep, she must think she is on to a REALLY good thing there. LoL

Night-time pottying at that age is to be expected, but it should be a straight out, do your business, straight back in, thing. No fun involved what so ever ! You want to break this habit, as your pups bladder can go longer, and not encourage it.

No food or water should be given after 8pm. Try taking her to potty last thing at night before you go asleep, even if it means you wake her. When she goes back into her crate, if she doesn't seem likely to settle, then do as I suggest in my other post, and sit with her until she does. Another thing is, that when she was that age, I kept my girl's crate next to me bed, where she could see me, and close enough that she could hear me breathing, etc. I would stretch out my arm so that my hand was touching the crate wire and she would snuggle next to it and within seconds be asleep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.