1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brig's Story

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Brigs_Mommy, Jun 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brigs_Mommy

Brigs_Mommy Boxer Pal

Well I was recovering from knee surgery and a friend of mine called me and told me to come look at this Puppy. She worked with animal rescues at our Humane Society. I was looking for a dog, finally ready 3 years after my childhood Lab Midnite passed away. I asked her what kind of dog it was and she said Boxer. I knew NOTHING about Boxer's so I said I wasn't interested. I wanted to get a dog I knew something about and I didn't feel well enough to go research at the library. She said you just have to come and look, I will wait an hour and if you don't show she will be put down. :eek:

Well anyone who knows me knows I had to go. I got there and she brought out this filthy little animal with blood all over it. It was so small. I asked her how big Boxers get and she said between 60-100lbs. I couldn't even believe her. I picked her up out of my friends hand. She cried and then kissed me and wagged her little tail. She was locked in a closet for a week with no food or water and who knew where the owners were. She had papers and the owners paid a lot of money for her when she was 6 weeks old. All this happened to her in 2 weeks. "Well this is just nonsence... I have to get to the vet before they close" :mad:

I named her Brig. I drove to the vet. The vet concluded Brig had been cut up with pieces of glass. He felt the people had done this to her because of how deep the cuts were and where they were. This is HORRIBLE and graphic but they also had done sexual things to her, she had to have splinters of wood removed from her, she had to have IV and medications, 72 stitches and she had to stay at the vets. He said she probably wouldn't live. :(

I visited her as much as possible and after 5 days she got to come home with me! The Doc said she wouldn't live more than four months because she was in such bad shape and it was such a critical growing period. For the first month I had to carry her outside to go to the bathroom because she had a hard time walking. She also got a bad infection in her vagina because of what those sick-o's did to her. She was spayed within that first month to try to help her infection get better. Kasie (our Kitty) took very good care of her little sister grooming her and loving her. lovicon

Brig quickley became the love of my life. Even though she was so so sick she always gave me kisses and talked to me and cuddled me. We visited the vet a couple times a week because she was so bad. When she turned 4 months old Brig began changing.

My girl who could barely stand on her own suddenly began bouncing off the walls. She started chewing everything, getting into big trouble and became very defiant. She became a circus clown almost overnight. Straight to the vet we went. The Doc said well... I don't think she will live more than say... 15 years! We were all so happy! fiestaicon

Training was very trying with Brig. rulesicon I didn't think she would live so I hadn't bothered her with it until she suddenly got better. Don't wait until 5 months old to train your puppy. :rolleyes: We still are working on it to this day. Brig is very very stubborn. She knows she is her mommy's baby and she uses that to her advantage. It is hard to practice tough love on someone who has gone through what she did. She is a very good girl she just seems to find trouble everywhere she turns! :) She is a crazy crazy girl. I think she is hooked into the electric socket or something because she never runs out of energy.

She is the best dog ever. She is so loving, so loyal, she is protective of her family (but not in a bad way), she loves to play all the time, She is just full of life and craziness. foolicon She is so happy. She has such a personality... She tilts her head to us when we talk to her and then she talks back to us, She has about 10 different barks and growls, she sighs these big deep sighs all the time. She never leaves my side. She is such a sweet little angel. :D

Mostly she is recovered from what happened to her. She does have bad separation anxiety though. We have to put her in her home when we leave or she will destroy the house and hurt herself. (One time before the crate she ate my bed and couch and everything else she could get her mouth on. It was an interesting thing to see when you came home after a long hard day at college then work! :rolleyes: ) She also will not eat if I am not home. She has terrible allergies which we constantly fight. They cause her to get sores and ear infections. She never grew to full size because of when she was starved... She weighs about 45 - 50 pounds.

I don't care what problems she has though because she is my baby and I love her. She is loving life and having fun and that is all that matters to me. lovicon

I don't have pictures to put in yet because we don't have a scanner. I will post them as soon as I get them. Sorry so long, when I start talking about my girl I just have so many things to say! partyicon

Vanessa

2. sandy oakey

sandy oakey Completely Boxer Crazy

Sounds like Brig was a very lucky girl to find you for a mom. Glad to hear that she is doing so well. [​IMG]

3. buddy'smom

buddy'smom Boxer Pal

I am so happy you both found each other and that Briggs has come to be the happy healthy boxer she is today. When you wrote that all of a sudden overnite she began bouncing off the walls etc. I cheered and thought how happy I would be to see this little furbaby finally acting like a normal boxer!! Briggs required a lot of medical care, but I believe it was the strength of your love that got her through it all and gave her the will to go on. Brigg's story was so heartbreaking at the beginning, but had a very happy ending!!

4. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Completely Boxer Crazy

wow- talk about heartbreaking to heartwarming. What a kind and loving person and family you have!
    You are certainly an angel angelicon and have been blessed by an angel!

BIG TIME BOXER HUGS TO YOU! :)

5. Angel

Angel Boxer Booster

Heart Felt

Vennesa, what a heart felt story. I am so glad that you gave Brig a chance. It seems like her stuborness kept her a live. There was no way she was leaving the perfect life that you had given her. It is a horrible thought of what she went through before you became her mom. But it is a warm feeling to know, now that you guys found each other. Thank you for the wonderful story.
    Staci Jackson

6. Angel

Angel Boxer Booster

One more thing

Please get a scanner! :)

7. Cherokee

Cherokee Guest

Your story left me speechless. I was so angry as I read it, to think people could be so cruel. Luckily you guys found each other. You both have truly been blessed . I look forward to hearing more about your baby and to pictures. I hope you realize what a wonderful person you are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.